Who goes to the mall anymore? Between online deal sites, warehouse events and, increasingly, pop-up and other alt-retail events, savvy retailers and entrepreneurs are coming up with new ways to part men from their money. In Baltimore on April 28, Confirmed Stock held its inaugural pop-up event featuring “Menswear, vintage, dry goods, lifestyle.” From the looks of things, there was a lot of good energy, and good attendance: The space in Baltimore’s Charles Village started filling up at 11am, as vendors were still setting up. The brainchild of Baltimore resident Neal Shaffer, Confirm Stock’s cri de coeur is,
One highlight in Baltimore was Raleigh-based Lumina Clothing, who brought a terrific selection of cotton ties and is also expanding into dress shirts, pants, jackets and women’s wear. The Lumina founders have a great story to tell. Three guys — from architecture nuclear engineering and environmental backgrounds — got together and formed a company that is doing its part to revitalize American-made style from an area of the country that used to lead the world in textile and apparel. I started Modern Fellows so I could meet and write about people like them.
Jack Robie was likewise impressive. The project of two former Wall Street execs and Brown University classmates, Jack Robie is about a year old and is focused on quality, fitted sports shirts. They had a navy blue gingham “Ford” shirt with them, which could be dressed up with a suit and tie. Hopefully these guys expand to include a line of dress shirts.
There were a series of other innovative, entrepreneurial and just plain impressive individuals and fledgling companies on hand, including Almanac Industries, Corter Leather, CXXVI, Federal, Fischer Clothing, Sixteen Tons and Two Inch Cuffs. A full list with links to participants is available at the Confirmed Stock website. It sounds like the organizers are hoping to hold another event in Baltimore. No plans yet to branch out to other locations. Thanks to Off the Cuff DC for the tip.
Other cool stuff:* Discover more than 30 thoughtful gift ideas for men from unique shirts to colorful socks
* Shop Modern Fellows' list of recommended menswear brands.
* Search 12 Thoughtful Gift Ideas for the Modern Dad for Fathers' Day, Christmas or his birthday
* Browse our list of essential men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy men's socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers
* Find Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* Explore 10 options for amazing chinos from these menswear startup alternatives to Brooks Brothers.
* Get $25 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of our favorite online custom tailors.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of our favorite online custom shirtmakers.