I’ve been testing out the Morgen classic leather sneakers from menswear shoe startup Beckett Simonon for the past few weeks. (Disclosure: Beckett Simonon gave me a pair of their leather trainers for free.)
The company, which is based in Colombia, has a great reputation for its men’s dress oxfords. (Take a look at Modern Fellows’ review of their dress shoes.) Over the past few months they have also released several minimalist leather sneakers.
The Morgens — made by hand in Portugal — are listed at $145 and fature calfskin leather and water-resistant repello suede.
So far, so good. The kicks feel great and still look good. For someone who generally wears either dress shoes or gym shoes, these are a dressier option for the weekend.
Beckett Simonon is one of more than a dozen companies that have gotten into the business of selling amazing minimalist leather sneakers for men.
Other cool stuff:* Discover more than 30 thoughtful gift ideas for men from unique shirts to colorful socks
* Shop Modern Fellows' list of recommended menswear brands.
* Search 12 Thoughtful Gift Ideas for the Modern Dad for Fathers' Day, Christmas or his birthday
* Browse our list of essential men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy men's socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers
* Find Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* Explore 10 options for amazing chinos from these menswear startup alternatives to Brooks Brothers.
* Get $25 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of our favorite online custom tailors.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of our favorite online custom shirtmakers.