Take a look inside online retailer Frank and Oak’s showrooom in the Shaw neighborhood of Washington, DC. Located in the Shay, a gleaming, recently-build mixed-use tower at 1924 8th Street NW, the showroom continues the Canadian menswear e-commerce’s foray into brick-and-mortar retail.
Co-founded by CEO Ethan Song and COO Hicham Ratnani in February 2012, Frank and Oak aims itself at young professionals with clothing that hovers somewhere between streetwear and business casual.
The Montreal-based company began as an online-only brand but today is continuing a trend towards blending e-commerce with physical storefronts and showrooms paved by the likes of Bonobos, Richmond-based Ledbury, and Warby Parker. (In fact, both Bonobos and Warby Parker have taken up residence in Shaw as well.)
Frank and Oak’s DC showroom showcases a rotating selection of the company’s shirts, knitwear, sweatshirts, denim, swim and underwear and menswear bags, neckties and accessories. Frank and Oak also features a selection of business suits online, though they are not prominently displayed in the DC showroom.
Prices are relatively affordable, with dress and casual pants coming in at under $100 (and in some cases under $50), t-shirts under $30 and neckties for around $30.
DMV residents can check out the Canadian menswear startup that builds itself as offering “innovative styles for the creative generation” and “a platform for our ever-growing community of dreamers and makers.” Customers can arrange an appointment with a “style adviser” to learn more about the brand and its clothes.
Photos taken with permission.
Other cool stuff:* Discover more than 30 thoughtful gift ideas for men from unique shirts to colorful socks
* Shop Modern Fellows' list of recommended menswear brands.
* Search 12 Thoughtful Gift Ideas for the Modern Dad for Fathers' Day, Christmas or his birthday
* Browse our list of essential men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy men's socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers
* Find Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* Explore 10 options for amazing chinos from these menswear startup alternatives to Brooks Brothers.
* Get $25 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of our favorite online custom tailors.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of our favorite online custom shirtmakers.