In an era of twitter and ever-declining attention spans, an increasingly-frequent tendency is to adopt generic, over-the-top shorthand to describe a relatively ordinary event. If everything is a “game-changer,” nothing is. When CNN suggests “breaking news” is happening 12 hours a day, it’s easy to tune out. So it is with GQ’s March “Style Bible,” which might more accurately be described as a style pamphlet.
Their anchor is the “GQ 100,” sixteen pages of mostly-pithy style tips, including “a piece of ageless advice” from Tom Ford to “keep your jacket buttoned. Always.” Thanks guys. Numbers 53-68 are simply pictures of shoes.
GQ also has made a habit of drawing readers (this reader in particular) in with stellar covers — in this case three, featuring Drake, John Slattery (pictured) and Dave Franko in killer professional get-ups featuring suits from Gucci, Emporio Armani and Boss Black respectively — and then littering the inside content with white jeans, suits worn with sneakers and camouflage lace-ups. There is nothing in the August cover set-up that suggests their fascination with “dusty pastel” suits (No. 3 on the GQ 100) or sneaker boots finishing a cotton suit (No. 4).
In short, I agree with Glen at the Gentlemen’s Standard.
Other cool stuff:* Shop Modern Fellows' list of recommended menswear brands.
* Browse our list of essential men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy men's socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers
* Find Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* Explore 10 options for amazing chinos from these menswear startup alternatives to Brooks Brothers.
* Get $25 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of our favorite online custom tailors.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of our favorite online custom shirtmakers.