With the explosion of affordable custom tailors in recent years — led by venture-backed behemoths such as Indochino and bolstered by fledgling, well-regarded entrants like Black Lapel — Modern Fellows has released a guide to buying made-to-measure suits and shirts online.
While the proliferation of online custom tailors may be thought of as a natural outgrowth of the traveling tailor who, twenty years ago, came from Asia or Europe to major U.S. cities, this new generation has a couple of advantages.
One is that many of the new companies — see Black Lapel, Blank Label, J. Hilburn, Proper Cloth, and Proper Suit — are headquartered in the United States, making them more accessible than far-flung tailors from prior generations. (Some, like Ratio Clothing and Read Wall, even manufacture in America.)
Digital media can also foster the kind of trust and community that were difficult to pin down twenty years ago, as social platforms like Facebook and Twitter and boards such as AskAndyAboutClothes and Styleforum.net permit satisfied or unhappy consumers to log their views publicly and provide comfort or warning to potential customers.
And while there are those who would suggest that you should never buy a suit online, the reality is that, if a man is willing to take the time to get measured up properly, there are companies around who are similarly willing and able to work with you to get the fit and style right and produce a phenomenal product.
Modern Fellows’ directory of online custom clothing companies is online now.
Other cool stuff:* Discover more than 30 thoughtful gift ideas for men from interesting reads to colorful socks
* Shop Modern Fellows' list of recommended menswear brands.
* Browse our list of essential men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy men's socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers
* Find Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* Explore 10 options for amazing chinos from these menswear startup alternatives to Brooks Brothers.
* Get $25 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of our favorite online custom tailors.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of our favorite online custom shirtmakers.