It is easy to think of Amazon.com as a glorified big box store, but you can find all sorts of unique gifts and staples there, including some fresh menswear articles from up-and-coming brands. Here’s a look at 5 essential pieces from menswear startups that you can nab quickly on Amazon.
Daniel Wellington helped usher in the current watch craze, and has stuck to its knitting over the past several years, pushing out simple, gorgeous watches for men and women. Founded by Swedish entrepreneur Filip Tysander, these preppy timepieces have elegant appeal and a smaller watch face than many in-your-face models.
Tie Your Socks makes supremely comfortable socks. Their designs are bright, flashy and quirky but push the envelope without jumping the shark. (They also make ties, though those same flashy designs are harder to swallow draped around your neck.) The company also donates one pair of socks for every purchase to a community organization that train and cloth people in need.
Jeff Shafer founded Agave Denim in 2002 in Santa Monica California with a goal “of designing and crafting beautiful, inspired and authentic denim products using only the highest quality materials.” Their denim and knits are made by hand in California and project what the company calls “West Coast Luxury” and it’s those knits and jeans that stand out at Amazon.
Entrepreneur Ricardo Puentes established Puentes Denver in 2011 in, you guessed it. The brand offers pretty snazzy pocket squares on Amazon, as well as a selection of men’s ties and accessories. Its pitch? “A deft hand for quality and a discerning eye for timeless style.” See for yourself.
You can’t open a men’s magazine these days without seeing a plug for a tie clip, tie, or socks from TheTieBar.com. Kudos to their marketing team. There is a good reason these ties fly off the shelves. The company issues simple, affordable riffs of ties and socks that often look like more expensive counterparts. Just make sure you realize what you’re getting here: You can’t get a real grenadine tie for twenty bucks, but The Tie Bar’s Grenafaux version comes close.
About JakeJake is passionate about exploring entrepreneurs' global journeys. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs behind the innovative brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and/or fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine, and has provided analysis on international business for BBC Radio, NBC News, CNN and Time Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* The Essential List: These 52 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Discover more than 30 thoughtful gift ideas for men from unique shirts to colorful socks
* Shop Modern Fellows' list of recommended menswear brands.
* Search 12 Thoughtful Gift Ideas for the Modern Dad for Fathers' Day, Christmas or his birthday
* Browse our list of essential men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy men's socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers
* Find Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* Explore 10 options for amazing chinos from these menswear startup alternatives to Brooks Brothers.
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of our favorite online custom tailors.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of our favorite online custom shirtmakers.