Modern Fellows is dedicated to getting to know the entrepreneurs and innovative brands who are helping men dress sharp and live well in the digital age.
Men’s style has come a long way since “the disheveled mess that was men’s wear in the aftermath of business casual” in the early 2000s. Today, walking around Washington, DC — long-disparaged as Hollywood for ugly people — you get the sense that men are dressing better and taking more care with their appearance. In a world made more anxious by economic uncertainty and at times overwhelming amounts of information and stuff to do, there is comfort and control in looking your best every day.
A new generation of entrepreneurs is emerging to help guys dress their best. From online custom suit-makers to Made-in-America necktie companies to start-up flash sale sites, entrepreneurs and innovators are taking advantage of new technologies and making it easier and more enjoyable to look sharp.
I started Modern Fellows in 2012 after spending years surfing message boards, wandering around department stores, getting to know online brands, talking with tailors, and reading books and magazines in an attempt to develop a professional wardrobe and a confident sense of style without going broke.
If you’ve never visited before, thanks for taking the time to check Modern Fellows out. Here are a couple of places to start:
- Discover my favorite menswear brands;
- The Made-in-America movement: emphasizing craft clothing designers and American-made products;
- Affordable, accessible direct-to-consumer clothing and accessories: getting to know a growing community of innovators making quality clothing and accessories, including custom dress shirts and suits, more affordable and broadly accessible;
- Washington, DC style: highlighting professional style-makers in the greater Washington, DC and Baltimore areas; and
- Retail, blogs and media: spotlighting the writers, retailers, and other resources helping to inform men (and the women who love them).
Thanks for visiting,