Direct-to-consumer luggage guru Away Travel will open its first physical store in Washington, DC in the Summer of 2023.
Away’s First Washington DC Store
Away’s store will be located 3237 M Street NW in the heart of Georgetown. It will replace Sameday Health, which provided rapid, concierge-style COVID-19 testing and other health services during the pandemic. Aldo, the shoe boutique, had previously occupied the space.
Away Travel’s new store is flanked by Aerie on one side and a vacant storefront that used to house Vans on the other.
The sign hanging out front of Away’s soon-to-be storefront indicates the location is “arriving Summer 2023.”
It will soon join a number of direct-to-consumer and internet-famous brands who have established brick and mortar 2.0 stores on or near Georgetown’s main drag, including Bonobos, Warby Parker, Everlane, Todd Snyder, lululemon, Faherty Brand, Suit Supply and Marine Layer.
About Away Travel
I had a chance to inteview Korey at her New York office in 2016, and was impressed by her conviction that a stylish box on wheels shouldn’t cost $1,000.
Away has inspired dozens of alternatives and dupes of their fairly-priced, it-just-works-and-looks-good-at-the-same-time luggage from the likes of Beis, Monos, July, Solgaard, Calpak and more.
Away Travel’s Brick-and-Mortar Stores
Away’s very first physical location took the form of a pop-up concept store at 325 Lafayette Street in 2016.
Since then, Away has opened more than a dozen physical luggage stores across the United States, Canada and United Kingdom.
I’m looking forward to visiting Away’s Washington DC location when it opens. Stay tuned for updates.
About JakeJake is an expert on men’s style and fashion based in Washington, DC. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs and innovative clothing and lifestyle brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. He has published hundreds of articles on style and apparel, and regularly interviews small business CEOs and startup founders about industry trends. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* Get $25 off your first experience with Wantable, an amazing online personal styling option for men and women.
* Take 10% off your first order from Proper Cloth, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* For comfortable Athleisure clothing for women and men, try these 25 alternatives to lululemon.
* Find 21 Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* The Essential List: These 125 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Upgrade your business casual wardrobe with comfortable yet professional-looking workleisure clothing made from stretchy performance fabrics.
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* Discover the best places to buy colorful socks online.