As I review my stash of casual clothing in preparation for working from home, Banana Republic’s soft-wash crew neck and v-neck t-shirts for men are one of my go-to’s. I just wish they made more of them.
100% cotton, tagless v-neck t-shirts are a staple of my weekend wardrobe, which fit nicely under my favorite cashmere sweaters from Proper Cloth and chinos from menswear startup Bonobos and leather sneakers. (See my guide to where to buy the best leather sneakers for men.)
For years, I never had to think about where to find those t-shirts.
That’s because Banana Republic maintained a wide assortment.
Their soft-wash tees hit all the right buttons: Their t-shirts are:
- 100% cotton (no polyester or tri-blend here),
- slim not bulky,
- tagless, and
- would come in a wide variety of colors, including soft, heathered colors (my favorite).
At a list price of nearly $30 they weren’t cheap, but you could get the price down substantially thanks to Banana Republic’s near constant sales.
Then, over time, their selection of soft-wash tees waned. In the winter, they would be hard to find. The selection has become increasingly spotty, particularly for those v-neck t-shirts.
While Banana Republic currently appears to have a new stash of 100% cotton, tagless crewneck t-shirts, their v-neck selection is, sadly, lacking, and has been for some time.
I’ll compare them and other options in the future.
About JakeJake is passionate about exploring entrepreneurs' global journeys. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs behind the innovative brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and/or fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine, and has provided analysis on international business for BBC Radio, NBC News, CNN and Time Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* For comfortable Athleisure clothing for women and men, try these 25 alternatives to lululemon.
* Find 21 Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* The Essential List: These 106 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Upgrade your work-from-home wardrobe with comfortable yet professional-looking workleisure clothing made from stretchy performance fabrics.
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* Try these impressive digital native brands for your next Zoom shirt. (Because you need a new Zoom shirt.)
* Browse my favorite men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy unique and colorful socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of my favorite online custom shirtmakers.