Every year at Modern Fellows, I curate the best style, fashion and apparel coupons, discounts and holiday deals for Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Cyberweek. Explore how Black Friday 2020 will look a lot different because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
I have been keeping track of Black Friday deals here at Modern Fellows since 2012. It seems to get crazier every year, though some sales are better than others. (It’s been interesting to keep track of how retailers change their pricing — or not — year after year).
How Black Friday and holiday shopping in 2020 will change due to COVID-19
Black Friday 2020 isn’t canceled, but sales will look much different from previous years because of the coronavirus pandemic.
“Black Friday” sales will start in October
Many major retailers have already announced that they will begin offering deep, Black Friday-quality discounts beginning in October:
- Target announced that it would begin its Black Friday Deals in October, “stretching out the savings.” In a statement, Target noted that, “Let’s face it: Historically, deal hunting and holiday shopping can mean crowded events, and this isn’t a year for crowds.”
- Home Depot announced that it would start its holiday sales in October in an effort to “reinvent” Black Friday and remove anxiety and hassle for customers worried about the Coronavirus.
I would expect smaller, innovative fashion startups and small businesses to follow suit, advertising their lowest prices of the year and jumping on “early Black Friday” sales in October. The COVID-19 pandemic has hit many small businesses in the fashion industry hard, and companies have been rolling out pretty spectacular discounts just to stay afloat.
Most stores will be closed on Thanksgiving
Starting over the summer, many big-box retailers indicated they would close their stores on Thanksgiving Day, reversing a trend that had come to see many employees having to work instead of enjoying dinner with their families. Target, Walmart, Best Buy and Dicks Sporting Goods are among the retailers who have announced that their stores will be closed on Thanksgiving.
Expect dramatically fewer doorbusters and in-store only deals
I can’t imagine stores will be offering limited-quantity doorbusters and in-store only deals that would require shoppers to line up and crowd into stores during a pandemic. Think of the publicity. Instead, I would expect many more online-only deals, some of which may be time-limited to days or hours, a-la-Amazon’s Goldbox Daily Deals.
When is Cyberweek 2020?
It’s perhaps more accurate to talk about Cyberweek sales rather than Black Friday and Cyber Monday, since many brands are now offering discounts from the Monday before Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday. Cyberweek 2020 is from Monday, November 23 through Monday, November 30.
When is Black Friday 2020?
Black Friday 2020 is Friday, November 27, 2020.
When is Cyber Monday 2020?
Cyber Monday is the Monday after Thanksgiving in the United States. Cyber Monday 2020 is Monday, November 30, 2020.
Black Friday and CyberMonday deals for 2020
It’s too early for most retailers to release their 2020 Black Friday deals, but keep reading for my favorite 2019 Black Friday sales from clothing, shoes and lifestyle brands to give you a sense of what may be in store for 2020.
As you browse around during Cyberweek sales, if you’re looking for inspiration for great gifts, check out these resources from Modern Fellows:
- My essential list of 78 innovative menswear brands that will transform your wardrobe;
- A roundup of impressive athleisure brands that will keep you comfortable and looking good whether you are exercising or working from home;
- My absolute favorite men’s clothing, accessory and footwear brands; and
- More than 30 thoughtful gift ideas for men from unique shirts to colorful socks.
Featured 2019 Black Friday and Cyberweek Deals
I wouldn’t list a brand in this roundup if I didn’t admire it but admittedly this roundup has grown pretty long. I’ve broken out a shorter list of featured deals that I’m particularly excited about from brands with whom I have had a personal, positive experience:
- Aquacutum – 30% off everything from my favorite affordable alternative to Burberry for trench coats. (They make them for men and women. I have two.)
- Beckett Simonon – Grab two pairs of men’s shoes for the ridiculously low price of $289. (Discount will be applied to eligible orders automatically.) Read why I think Beckett Simonon’s shoes, boots and leather sneakers are worth the wait.
- Bonobos — One of my favorite e-commerce menswear retailers takes 30% off site wide all Black Friday week. (Have a look inside a Bonobos Guide Shop.)
- Charles Tyrwhitt – 30 percent off plus free shipping with discount coupon code FRIDAY30 from one of my go-to retailers for business menswear basics.
- Christopher Ward offers 15% off its collection of affordable luxury watches beginning November 28. I adore my Christopher Ward chronograph, which looks like it cost a lot more money than I paid for it.
- Happy Socks – 40% off plus free shipping on select items from one of my favorite places to buy colorful socks for men online. (no code needed).
- Herschel Supply Co. hosts its only sale of the year during Cyberweek. Lock in Black Friday savings on their minimalist backpacks, weekender bags, portfolios, briefcases and messenger bags. I adore my slim, lightweight briefcase from Herschel.
- Hugh & Crye – Buy 1-2 items, get 15% off; Buy 3-4 items, get 35% off; Buy 5+ items, get 50% off. Orders over $100 ship free. Use code HOLIDAY19. DC-based startup Hugh & Crye is one of Modern Fellows’ best options for dress shirts for men, thanks to beautiful fabrics and an innovative fit system.
- Ledbury – One of my favorite men’s clothing brands has a 30% off sale across its site.
- Ratio Clothing, one of my favorite online custom tailors for made-in-America dress shirts, flannels and sub-$100 Oxfords, is offering 10% off $250+, 15% off $375+ and 20% off $500+ with promotional code: TURKEY. It ends midnight 12/2.
- Todd Snyder – Update: Take 30% off site wide on December 2 only with code CYBER30. Take 25% off $200 or 30% off $300 Todd Snyder and other select brands until 12/1/2019 with coupon code BLACKFRIDAYNOW. Look inside Todd Snyder’s New York City Flagship store, and discover why we think Todd Snyder is one of the best alternatives to J. Crew for men.
- Unsimply Stitched – 40% off sitewide with code BF2019 from one of my favorite colorful and unique men’s sock brands. Explore the brand via Modern Fellows’ review of Unsimply Stitched socks and an interview with founder Alex Hendeles.
- Wolf & Shepherd – Take $100 off $300 or more with coupon code HUNDO through December 2 from a brand that I think delivers an outstanding combination of looks and comfort. (See Modern Fellows’ review of Wolf and Shepherd shoes for more.)
Want to be featured in the future? Explore working with Modern Fellows.
The Full List: Black Friday and CyberMonday deals for 2019
Ace Marks – Up to 20 percent off gorgeous shoes handcrafted in Italy.
Alexander Noel – 20% off great looking shoes with PreBlackfriday20.
Aquacutum – 30% off everything.
Amazon has pre-Black Friday HoliDeals live. Over the course of the holiday season, I would anticipate deals on Amazon’s growing list of menswear house brands including Goodthreads, Buttoned Down and Amazon Essentials, and Amazon Fashion Brands for Women including Lark and Ro.
American Trench – 20 percent off almost everything with code BFCM2019 from this American-made outfitter and a great, affordable alternative to Burberry for trench coats.
Beckett Simonon – Nab two pairs of men’s shoes for the ridiculously low price of $289. (Discount will be applied to eligible orders automatically.)
Billy Reid – Up to 40% sitewide during Bill Reid’s Black Friday sale.
Boden – The chic British brand, which has more on offer for women than men, has 30% off almost everything with code H7N3 through December 2.
Boldfoot Socks is taking 25% off their bold, American-made socks through Monday, November 25th at midnight with code TURKEYTIME. Get to know the story behind the start of this company with my interview with founder Brad Christmann.
Bonobos takes 30% off site wide all Black Friday week.
Brooks Brothers takes 30% off a selection of men’s suits, sport coats, dress trousers, shoes and blazers; plus ties are 3 for $99; through November 27.
Charles Tyrwhitt – 30 percent off plus free shipping with discount coupon code FRIDAY30.
Christopher Ward is offering 15% off its collection of affordable luxury watches beginning November 28.
Cobbler Union – Black Friday deals are live with up to 50% off luxury mens’ shoes.
Cuts Clothing — Take up to 30% off California-based menswear startup Cuts Clothing’s line of professional-looking crewneck, v-neck and henley shirts (and more).
The Dark Knot – Black Friday deals are live with 40% sitewide with coupon BF40, and 50% off orders over $199 with code BF50, at this source for luxury men’s neckties, lapel pins, tiebars and more.
Deo Veritas‘ biggest sale of the year is on now: Take 15% off orders under $25 with code BF15. Take 25% off orders over $250 with coupon code BF25. It’s been a pleasure getting to know Deo Veritas founder Vinnie Sikka and to watch his custom tailoring business grow.
East Dane – MORE19 gets you 15% off orders of $200; 20% off orders of $500 and 25% off orders of $800.
Frank And Oak – Nab 30% off this Canadian startup retailer’s offerings with code BF30.
Gap – ok, I know, the Gap isn’t a startup, but I really like their boxers. Take 50% off the store with BLKFRIDAY plus an addition 10% off with stackable code BESTEVER.
Grayers – Take 30% off Grayers well-crafted clothing for men with code BIGSALE
Greats Sneakers – Take 25% this born-in-Brooklyn brand founded in 2007 by Ryan Babenzien and Jon Buscemi that makes “a better sneaker for less” during cyberweek with code PASSWORD123. For more leather sneakers options check out Modern Fellows’ guide to leather sneakers for men.
Happy Socks – 40% off plus free shipping on select items (no code needed).
Hockerty – Early Black Friday deals are live. Take 10% OFF Orders above $150; 15% OFF Orders above $250; 20% OFF Orders above $400; 25% OFF Orders above $550; 30% OFF Orders above $800 with code VIPBLACKFRIDAY. Get more background on the company via our review of their basic white dress shirt.
Hugh & Crye – Buy 1-2 items, get 15% off; Buy 3-4 items, get 35% off; Buy 5+ items, get 50% off. Orders over $100 ship free. Use code HOLIDAY19.
Indochino is advertising it’s best prices of the year with its now-live “Black Friday event” featuring suits from $289 from this Canadian startup.
Jack Mason Brand makes affordable and very nice looking watches. They are taking up to 75% off during Black Friday week. (For more on Jack Mason and other innovative micro-brands, check our Modern Fellow’s guide to affordable watches for men.)
Kashiyama custom tailors – Made-to-Measure suits start at $240 when you take 20% off from November 18 to December 2. Customers must visit a location to get measured up for a custom suit. The Japan-based affordable custom tailor currently has locations in downtown Washington, DC, or Tysons Corner, VA, New York City, Charlotte, NC, Boston, MA, Philadelphia, PA, or Dallas, TX. Look inside Kashiyama’s DC fitting room inside the WeWork White House.
Lands End has $19 flannel pajamas plus 50% off everything else with code BOTTOMS (some exclusions apply) through November 28.
Lanieri – Until December 2, save up to 30% off selected products from this Italian startup’s fall and winter collection Learn more about the brand, which is backed by storied Italian fabric mills, via Modern Fellows’ review of Lanieri’s made-to-measure suit and look inside the company’s Paris showroom.
Ledbury – 30% off sale across its site.
Linjer – Up to 60% off men’s and women’s minimalist watches and leather goods from a minimalist design studio (Linjer means “lines” in Norwegian) from co-founders Jennifer Chong & Roman Khan, no promotion code needed.
The Lodge – Take 25% off storewide plus get free shipping (no code needed) at this New York-city based general store for modern men focused on Made in America brands including Coronado Leather, Santa Fe Stoneworks, DSPTCH, Topo Designs, WILT 1862 and American Trench.
Mott & Bow – Get 25% off with coupon code BF19, from this fashion startup that makes “elevated basics” including cashmere sweaters, t-shirts and denim at a “grounded price” for men and women. (If the brand sounds familiar but you don’t know why, you may have received a mailer from Mott and Bow via snail mail.)
MVMT – Take 20% off with code HOLIDAY19 during minimalist watch brand MVMT’s pre-Black Friday sale.
Nordstrom – One of my favorite retailers that has made the transition to bricks-and-clicks has cyber deals of up to 50 percent off.
North and Mark – 30% off classically-tailored outwear and sweaters made from performance fabrics, designed and made in New York City with code NMBF30.
Oliver Wicks – The biggest sale of the year for this European online custom tailor with up to $200 off suits.
Pact is playing up its sustainability focus with “Green Friday” deals of up to 70% off sweaters, leggings, underwear and bras for women and sweaters, tops, bottoms and underwear for men made from organic cotton.
Paul Stuart – 20% off $500, 25% off $1,000 and 30% off $2,500 of natty, if expensive, menswear.
Ratio Clothing is offering 10% off $250+, 15% off $375+ and 20% off $500+ with promotional code: TURKEY. It ends midnight 12/2.
Scarosso – Take $50 off $200 or more or $120 off $400 or more off this Berlin-based startup’s sleek shoes for women and men made by Italian artisans through December 1.
Satchel and Page – Their selection of truly gorgeous, heirloom quality leather bags and goods are marked down up to 30% drying the company’s only sale of the year.
Target, one of my favorite innovative retailers, has released its Black Friday 2019 advertisement. Their offerings as even more accessible this year as the Minneapolis-based retailer rapidly builds out a series of small-footprint stores in cities and alongside college campuses. (Look inside the Tenleytown DC Target and learn more about their flexible format stores.) I like the look of their Goodfellow & Co. line of men’s clothing, which I’m certain will see discounts.
Taylor Stitch – 20 percent off sitewide plus a $20 credit applied automatically from this purveyor of classic menswear including knits, flannels, denim and outerwear.
Todd Snyder – Take 25% off $200 or 30% off $300 Todd Snyder and other select brands until 12/1/2019 with coupon code BLACKFRIDAYNOW.
Tommy John – Take 20% off orders of $100 or more of Tommy John’s well-regarded underwear, long johns and basics for men and women during the startup’s Black Friday sale through 12/1/2019.
Unsimply Stitched – 40% off sitewide with code BF2019.
Velasca – All of Velasca’s well-regarded, handcrafted, Italian-made shoes ring up at 20% off with coupon BF2019.
Vincero Watches – Up to 25% off bold watches for men and women.
Will Leather Goods – Spend $100, save 15%; spend $250, save 20%; spend $500, save 25%. No code needed.
Wolf & Shepherd – Take $100 off $300 or more with coupon code HUNDO.
One sidebar before moving on: A growing number of companies are turning to snail-mail catalogs as a decidedly analog way of advertising their Black Friday sales and getting customers’ attention in the digital age.
What are the Origins and History of Black Friday?
There are different explanations for how the Friday after Thanksgiving came to be called “Black Friday.”
- Employers used the term Black Friday in the 1950s in reference to the large percentage of employees who used a sick day to complete a four-day weekend.
- Another explanation is that the Police Department in Philadelphia used the phrase in the 1950s and 1960s about the insane traffic the day generated.
- The most common explanation is that the “Black” in Black Friday is a reference to the role in the day in enabling retailers to turn a profit thanks to holiday demand.
About JakeJake is passionate about exploring entrepreneurs' global journeys. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs behind the innovative brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and/or fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine, and has provided analysis on international business for BBC Radio, NBC News, CNN and Time Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* Upgrade your work-from-home wardrobe with comfortable yet professional-looking workleisure clothing made from stretchy performance fabrics.
* Try these impressive digital native brands for your next Zoom shirt. (Because you need a new Zoom shirt.)
* Find 21 Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* The Essential List: These 78 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* Discover why these 17 innovative menswear brands are among my favorites.
* Browse my favorite men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy unique and colorful socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of my favorite online custom shirtmakers.