Every year at Modern Fellows, I curate the best men’s style, fashion and apparel coupons, discounts and holiday deals for Black Friday, Cyber Monday and Cyberweek. Below, explore a running list of Cyber Monday and Black Friday 2020 sales, and excellent options for Christmas gifts for guys.
I have been keeping track of Black Friday deals here at Modern Fellows since 2012. It seems to get crazier every year, though some sales are better than others. (It’s been interesting to keep track of how retailers change their pricing — or not — year after year).
Separately, I keep track of the best Black Friday sales from online women’s clothing stores and boutiques. I also collected a separate list of Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals on athleisure clothing for men and women.
Also, it turns out that there are stellar Black Friday deals on prescription eyeglasses from brands like Felix Gray and Warby Parker.
This year, amid the COVID-19 pandemic, it’s more important than ever to support small and independent businesses. In 2020, I was grateful for the chance to interview a number of entrepreneurs about the struggles they faced during COVID-19. Many noted they were surviving thanks to the loyalty of their customers.
I’ve done my best to prioritize innovative, small and independent direct-to-consumer brands that I think are worth supporting this holiday season.
When is Cyberweek 2020?
It’s perhaps more accurate to talk about Cyberweek sales rather than Black Friday and Cyber Monday, since many brands are now offering discounts from the Monday before Thanksgiving through Cyber Monday. Cyberweek 2020 is from Monday, November 23 through Monday, November 30.
(In fact, this year, amid the pandemic, some brands were offering Black Friday deals throughout the month of November, though the sales are really starting to pick up as Cyberweek begins.)
When is Black Friday 2020?
Black Friday 2020 is Friday, November 27, 2020.
When is Cyber Monday 2020?
Cyber Monday is the Monday after Thanksgiving in the United States. Cyber Monday 2020 is Monday, November 30, 2020.
Black Friday and CyberMonday deals for 2020
Many retailers released their 2020 Black Friday sales early. Here is a running list of the best Black Friday deals on men’s clothing, shoes and accessories. (If you know of a deal I’m missing, please leave a tip in the comments.)
Featured early Black Friday 2020 deals
I wouldn’t list a brand in this roundup if I didn’t admire it but this list has grown pretty long over the years. To start, I broke out a shorter list of featured deals that I’m particularly excited about from brands with which I have had a personal, positive experience.
Want to be featured in the future? Explore working with Modern Fellows.
- Ace Marks is taking up to 20% off their striking, handcrafted-in-Italy, affordable luxury shoes and leather sneakers with code BLACKFRIDAY. Or you can save 10% off of your Ace Marks order with code FELLOWS10. Learn more about the brand in this interview with Ace Marks Founder Paul Farago.
- Beckett Simonon is running an incredible Black Friday deal: Get any two pairs of shoes for just $289 with free shipping and returns. The discount is applied automatically at checkout. Read why I think Beckett Simonon’s shoes, boots and leather sneakers are worth the wait.
- Black Lapel – Save up to 20% off sitewide during Black Lapel’s Black Friday 2020 sale with code CYBER15. Save $50 off your first suit with code FTOMODERN from one of my favorite online custom tailors. (This is an ongoing deal, rather than a Black Friday deal.)
- Bonobos is one of my favorite menswear retailers. Bonobos has early Black Friday specials from $18, including chinos marked down 50%. (Have a look inside a Bonobos Guide Shop to learn more about the brand.)
- Brooks Brothers Black Friday deals are live: Take 50% off sitewide online and in stores. While Brooks Brothers is currently going through a rough patch, the company has been creating moments of joy since 1818.
- Charles Tyrwhitt – 40% off plus free shipping with discount coupon code TWENTY20 from one of my go-to retailers for business menswear basics, and is one of the best affordable options for dress shirts for men,
- Christopher Ward offers 15% off its collection of affordable luxury watches. I absolutely adore my Christopher Ward chronograph, which looks like it cost a lot more money than I paid for it.
- Felix Gray – Take 15% off Felix Gray’s blue-light blocking glasses with code FIRSTLOOK through 11/27. This is a great opportunity to see whether blue light lenses are worth it given this brand that rarely has sales.
- Happy Socks was taking 30% off plus free shipping from one of my favorite places to buy colorful socks for men online. (No code needed). Last I checked, this sale was no longer active, but I’d expect more discounts soon.
- Herschel Supply Co. takes up to 50% select items. Lock in Black Friday savings on their minimalist backpacks, weekender bags, portfolios, briefcases and messenger bags. I adore my slim, lightweight briefcase from Herschel.
- Huckberry, one of the best online stores for men, launched its massive Black Friday 2020 sale with 1,000s of deals. The shop has curated a list of their Top 60 Black Friday deals to get you started.
- Indochino is advertising it’s best prices of the year with its now-live “Black Friday event” featuring suits from $289 from this Canadian startup. Look inside Indochino’s showroom in Georgetown to get a feel for the brand.
- Lanieri – Until December 2, save up to 30% off selected products from this Italian startup’s collection. Learn more about the brand, which is backed by storied Italian fabric mills, via Modern Fellows’ review of Lanieri’s made-to-measure suit and look inside the company’s Paris showroom.
- Ledbury is one of my favorite men’s clothing brands. They are running a series of Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals from 11/27 through 11/30.
- Liingo Eyewear – You can take 25% off at Liingo Eyewear with code MODERNFELLOWS. Liingo is a spectacular place to buy prescription glasses online and offers a home try on program.
- Ministry of Supply – Take 25% off everything across Ministry of Supply’s lineup of workleisure apparel for women and men made from technical fabrics during Cyberweek with code 25OFF. Get to know the brand, which makes my favorite reuseable face masks, with this interview with CEO Aman Advani.
- Nordstrom – One of my favorite retailers that has made the transition to bricks-and-clicks has cyber deals of up to 50 percent off.
- Oliver Cabell is taking 15% Off Site Wide plus a free Gordon Bracelet during its Black Friday 2020 sale. I can’t say enough nice things about my Oliver Cabell leathers sneakers, and they make a range of comfortable, affordable luxury drivers and other casual shoes for men.
- Outerknown, which is famous for its soft, cozy blanket shirts for men, is taking 30% off sitewide with its Black Friday and Cyber Monday sale. had been hosting its annual blowout warehouse sale prior to Cyberweek. Outerknown took up to 60% off Outerknown selections, including tees from $12, shirts and pants from $24, sweaters and sweats from $32 and outerwear from $58. (Note: Their warehouse sale expired as of 11/22, but be on the lookout for a Cyberweek sale.)
- PrAna, a stylish option for sustainable clothing for men and women, was taking 25% off all orders through 11/16/2020. As of this writing, take 30% off select styles during PrAna’s Black Friday 2020 sale. The company makes its clothes from materials like organic cotton, recycled polyester, and technical fabrics, great for hiking, climbing, working out and hanging out. PrAna is a solid alternative to lululemon for activewear and athleisure.
- Pact Apparel, which makes sustainably-produced basics for men and women from organic cotton and other fabrics, started early access to its Black Friday sales and is taking up to 40% off. Pact is a stellar option for basics for men and women, and makes some of my favorite t-shirts and boxers.
- Revtown’s slim-fit “Sharp” jeans are among my favorites. Get two pairs of jeans for men or women for $125 (regularly $158) during Revtown’s Black Friday 2020 sale.
- Satchel and Page takes 10-30% off its entire collection of heritage-inspired, heirloom quality leather bags and goods. Get to know the brand via my interview with Satchel and Page Founder Daniel Ralsky.
- Stio, an active and outdoors-wear brand based in Wyoming, is taking up to 30% off clothes for men and women during their Black Friday 2020 sale, including bright and sunny flannel shirts. I have a pair of Stio’s super-comfortable and well-fitting Rivet corduroy pants, which are also on sale.
- Todd Snyder – Save 20% on $200, 25% on $300 and 30% on $500 with code BLACKFRIDAYSALE. Also browse significant markdowns on items from his fall collection, which are up to 30% off. Look inside Todd Snyder’s New York City Flagship store, and discover why I think Todd Snyder is one of the best alternatives to J. Crew for men.
- Tommy John – Take 25% off sitewide across Tommy John’s well-regarded underwear, long johns and basics for men and women during the startup’s early Black Friday sale. See my interview with co-founder Tom Patterson about why underwear can change your life.
- Unsimply Stitched – Take 40% off sitewide. Review why Unsimply Stitched is one of the best options for colorful socks for men. Explore the brand via Modern Fellows’ review of Unsimply Stitched socks and an interview with founder Alex Hendeles.
- Woodies – Get 10% off $150, 15% off $275 or 20% off $500 from this menswear startup that makes custom casual clothing easy. (Think performance chinos and button down shirts.)
- Wolf & Shepherd – Take 20% off your Wolf and Shepherd purchase sitewide. Wolf and Shepherd delivers an outstanding combination of looks and comfort. (See my review of Wolf and Shepherd oxford shoes and their unique Longwing crossover hybrid sneakers for more.)
Even more early Black Friday 2020 deals for men
Alexander Noel – 25% select shoes with coupon code November2020 during its Black Friday 2020 sale.
Alton Lane – Save 35% off your entire purchase with code BLACKFRIDAY2020 from this omnichannel destination for made-to-measure suits and shirts, as well as accessories and leathers sneakers, and more for guys.
Argoz’s entire site (mainly focused on colorful socks) is on sale for 25% OFF or more, plus spend $100+ and receive an additional 10% OFF or spend $200+: receive an additional 20% OFF.
Billy Reid – Take 20% off $250, 30% off $500 and $40% off $1,000 during Billy Reid’s excellent Black Friday 2020 sale.
Cobbler Union takes 20% off sitewide from its dress shoes and more.
Cuts Clothing — Take up to 30% off California-based menswear startup Cuts Clothing’s line of professional-looking crewneck, v-neck and henley shirts (and more).
Dapper Classics takes 30% off all orders with code 30EARLY. Ends November 26.
The Dark Knot – 2020 Black Friday deals are live. Take 40% off sitewide with code BLACK40; 50% off orders over $199 with BLACK50, , at this source for luxury men’s neckties, lapel pins, tie bars and more.
Dearborn Denim, which makes Made-in-the-USA denim and apparel for men and women, is taking 10% off all orders during Black Friday 2020 with coupon code BF2020.
Grayers – Take 35% off Grayers well-crafted clothing for men with code PLAID.
Greats Sneakers – Take 25% orders of $75 or more with code CYBERWEEK from this born-in-Brooklyn brand founded in 2007 by Ryan Babenzien and Jon Buscemi, which makes “a better sneaker for less.” For more leather sneakers options check out Modern Fellows’ guide to leather sneakers for men.
Hockerty, which makes made-to-measure clothing and shoes for men, is having a “buy more, save more” Black Friday event with discounts between 10-30% with code BLACKFRIDAY. Get more background on the company via my long-ago review of their basic white dress shirt.
Jack Mason Brand makes affordable and very nice looking watches. They are taking 20% off sitewide during their 2020 Black Friday week sale. (For more on Jack Mason and other innovative micro-brands, check our Modern Fellow’s guide to affordable watches for men.)
Lands End takes 50% off your order plus free shipping over $99 with code SQUASH.
Linjer – Up to 60% off men’s and women’s minimalist watches and leather goods from this minimalist design studio from co-founders Jennifer Chong & Roman Khan. (Linjer means “lines” in Norwegian.)
Madewell – 30% off during their Cyber Monday preview with code HOLIDAY30.
Mott & Bow – Get 15% off any order; 20% off orders over $250 and 25% off orders over $500 with coupon code cyberslm2020, from this fashion startup that makes “elevated basics” including cashmere sweaters, t-shirts and denim at a “grounded price” for men and women. (If the brand sounds familiar but you don’t know why, you may have received a mailer from Mott and Bow via snail mail.)
MVMT – Take up to 40% off during minimalist watch brand MVMT’s Black Friday sale.
Nisolo – Stack 25% sitewide savings with coupon code EXTRA25 on top of deals of up to 60% off shoes for men.
Oliver Wicks – The biggest sale of the year for this European online custom tailor sees up to $200 off suits with code BLACK.
Paul Stuart – 20% off sitewide during this luxury menswear retailer’s Black Friday 2020 sale.
Rhone‘s Black Friday sale is live. Take 30% off sitewide from this destination for luxury athleisure activewear, basics and commuter button down shirts constructed from technical fabrics.
Scarosso – Take $50 off $200 or more or $120 off $400 or more off this Berlin-based startup’s sleek shoes for women and men made by Italian artisans.
Shein – Take up to 30% and see deals of up to 80% off during Shein’s Black Friday sale from this Chinese fast-fashion retailer for men, women and kids.
Target, one of my favorite innovative retailers, has released its Black Friday 2020 advertisements. Their offerings as even more accessible this year as the Minneapolis-based retailer rapidly builds out a series of small-footprint stores in cities and alongside college campuses. (Look inside the Tenleytown DC Target and learn more about their flexible format stores.) I like the look of their Goodfellow & Co. line of men’s clothing, which I’m certain will see discounts.
United By Blue is taking up to 50% selections of its ethically manufactured and responsibly sourced clothing, bags, and accessories for women and men during its Black Friday 2020 sale.
Velasca – All of Velasca’s well-regarded, handcrafted, Italian-made shoes ring up at 20% off with coupon BF20.
Vincero Watches is taking between 15%-25% off bold watches for men and women.
Will Leather Goods – Take 30% off sitewide during their Early Black Friday sale with code WLG30.
Keep scrolling down for a review of my favorite 2019 Black Friday sales from men’s clothing, shoes and lifestyle brands to give you a sense of what else may be in store for 2020.
How Black Friday and holiday shopping are changing in 2020 due to COVID-19
Black Friday 2020 isn’t canceled, but sales are looking look much different from previous years because of the coronavirus pandemic.
“Black Friday” sales started in October
Amazon arguably already kicked off the 2020 holiday shopping season with its long-delayed Amazon Prime Day extravaganza. Amazon held Prime Day 2020 on October 13-14, featuring deep discounts on Amazon Prime Fashion brands for men and women as well as electronics and more.
Many other major retailers already announced that they will begin offering deep, Black Friday-quality discounts beginning in October or early November:
- Clothing retailers including Madewell and Lands End launched Black Friday deals in October.
- Walmart announced that it will stretch out Black Friday sales over three separate events in November. Walmart’s first Black Friday event will take place starting at 7PM on November 4 online at Walmart.com, with more sales and deals rolling out online and in store in November 7.
- Target announced that it would begin its Black Friday Deals in October, “stretching out the savings.” In a statement, Target noted that, “Let’s face it: Historically, deal hunting and holiday shopping can mean crowded events, and this isn’t a year for crowds.”
- Home Depot announced that it would start its holiday sales in October in an effort to “reinvent” Black Friday and remove anxiety and hassle for customers worried about the Coronavirus.
Smaller, innovative fashion startups and small businesses followed suit, advertising their lowest prices of the year and jumping on “early Black Friday” sales earlier in November.
The COVID-19 pandemic has hit many small businesses in the fashion industry hard, and companies have been rolling out pretty spectacular discounts just to stay afloat.
“Retailers will be desperate to get rid of seven months of leftover merchandise in two months,” Burt Flickinger III, founder of Strategic Resource Group, told Newsday in October.
Most stores will be closed on Thanksgiving
Starting over the summer, many big-box retailers indicated they would close their stores on Thanksgiving Day, reversing a trend that had come to see many employees having to work instead of enjoying dinner with their families. Target, Walmart, Best Buy and Dicks Sporting Goods are among the retailers who have announced that their stores will be closed on Thanksgiving.
Expect dramatically fewer doorbusters and in-store only deals
I can’t imagine stores will be offering limited-quantity doorbusters and in-store only deals that would require shoppers to line up and crowd into stores during a pandemic. Think of the publicity.
Instead, I would expect many more online-only deals, some of which may be time-limited to days or hours, a-la-Amazon’s Goldbox Daily Deals.
What are the Origins and History of Black Friday?
There are different explanations for how the Friday after Thanksgiving came to be called “Black Friday.”
- Employers used the term Black Friday in the 1950s in reference to the large percentage of employees who used a sick day to complete a four-day weekend.
- Another explanation is that the Police Department in Philadelphia used the phrase in the 1950s and 1960s about the insane traffic the day generated.
- The most common explanation is that the “Black” in Black Friday is a reference to the role in the day in enabling retailers to turn a profit thanks to holiday demand.
More resources for great clothing gifts for guys
If you’re looking for more inspiration for great gifts for guys, check out these resources from Modern Fellows:
- My essential list of 80 innovative menswear brands that will transform your wardrobe;
- A roundup of impressive athleisure brands for men and women that will keep you comfortable and looking good whether you are exercising or working from home;
- My absolute favorite men’s clothing, accessory and footwear brands;
- More than 30 thoughtful gift ideas for men from unique shirts to colorful socks.
- A list of clothing brands who will send you mail order catalogs as a decidedly analog way of advertising their Black Friday sales and getting customers’ attention in the digital age. (I like flipping through physical catalogs rather than websites.)
About JakeJake is passionate about exploring entrepreneurs' global journeys. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs behind the innovative brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and/or fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine, and has provided analysis on international business for BBC Radio, NBC News, CNN and Time Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* Upgrade your work-from-home wardrobe with comfortable yet professional-looking workleisure clothing made from stretchy performance fabrics.
* Try these impressive digital native brands for your next Zoom shirt. (Because you need a new Zoom shirt.)
* Find 21 Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* The Essential List: These 78 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* Discover why these 17 innovative menswear brands are among my favorites.
* Browse my favorite men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy unique and colorful socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of my favorite online custom shirtmakers.