Online menswear retailer Bonobos continues to expand its brick-and-mortar presence. On July 20, the startup will open the doors of a permanent guideshop in Bethesda, Maryland, and will also launch in Austin, Texas later this summer.
Bonobos first came to Bethesda Row with a temporary menswear guideshop for the holidays in 2012. The new Bethesda outpost will be the second in the Washington, DC metro area, following the opening of a permanent establishment in Georgetown’s Cady’s Alley in the first quarter of 2013.
The growth of Bethesda’s guideshops suggests some traction for the showrooming concept. Bonobos, along with eyeglasses e-tailer Warby Parker, are helping to pioneer the inventory-less storefront, where customers can walk in to get to know the brand and product line but can’t walk out with merchandise. In Bonobos’ case, if you like what you see, guides will help place an order that ships quickly to a place of your choosing.
The store will once again be located on Bethesda Row, at 4835 Bethesda Avenue. Below is the official announcement.
About JakeJake is passionate about exploring entrepreneurs' global journeys. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs behind the innovative brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and/or fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine, and has provided analysis on international business for BBC Radio, NBC News, CNN and Time Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* For comfortable Athleisure clothing for women and men, try these 25 alternatives to lululemon.
* Find 21 Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* The Essential List: These 125 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Upgrade your business casual wardrobe with comfortable yet professional-looking workleisure clothing made from stretchy performance fabrics.
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* Discover the best places to buy colorful socks online.