Sustainable athleisure brand Girlfriend Collective just launched a limited edition capsule of casual “everyday menswear.” Grab it before it’s gone.
Should we call it Boyfriend Collective?
About Girlfriend Collective
Based in Seattle, Girlfriend Collective has made a name for itself producing ethically-made, eco-friendly and size- and image-inclusive activewear and athleisure for women.
The company is an outstanding example of a sustainable fashion brand. Girlfriend Collective makes its leggings, joggers, t-shirts and tank tops from recycled polyester (RPET), nylon, post-consumer bottles, recycled fishing nets, 100% cupro fabric (made from cotton industry by-products) and other waste products.
Where to buy Girlfriend Collective
In addition to selling direct from its website, Girlfriend Collective also sees a ton of love from some of my favorite retailers:
- You can find Girlfriend Collective’s collections for women at Nordstrom (one of my favorite online retailers), at Verishop (get a $25 discount off this emerging alternative to Amazon for clothes), at Net-a-Porter and at athleisure emporium Bandier.
- Outerknown, one of my go-to options for laid-back casual for men and women, stocks Girlfriend Collective leggings and activewear for women.
- Girlfriend Collective is featured as one of Madewell’s “labels we love.”
The “Girlfriend for Men” collection
On August 3, 2021, Girlfriend Collective launched a menswear collection.
Whether you call it “Girlfriend for men” or Boyfriend Collective, this limited edition menswear collection extends Girlfriend’s focus on sustainability, comfort and inclusivity to a selection of men’s everyday clothing.
- Girlfriend Collective’s Street Short for men is a mid-rise performance short that features a built-in boxer brief liner along with pockets and an adjustable waist tie. It’s available in hunter green, jet black, yellow-green laser, and khaki and is made largely from recycled plastic bottles (RPET) with a bit of spandex woven into the built-in boxer brief.
- Girlfriend Collective describes its Easy Crewneck Tee as “a classic everyday men’s tee designed with a soft mix of cupro and organic cotton. For going out, chilling, and saying things like “my guy.” The tees are available in white, cream, electric lime, greenish-brown herb, tan feather, grey falcon and a mustard-like bamboo.
- Their Hooded Half-Zip Windbreaker for men is constructed from a performance woven ripstop made from 100% recycled plastic bottles (RPET) and features UPF 50+, zip pockets and an adjustable hem.
- Girlfriend’s collection of Crew, Quarter Crew, Ankle and No-Show socks for men are made from 90% recycled plastic bottles (RPET) and 10% spandex and are recyclable with ReGirlfriend.
Girlfriend’s “Everyone” collection of gender-neutral apparel
In addition to its menswear collection, Girlfriend Collective has launched an “everyone” collection of gender-neutral apparel:
- The Everyone Crewneck Sweatshirt and Everyone Hoodie are made from a combination of 50% Texloop RCOT™ Recycled Cotton from fabric scraps left on the cutting room floor and 50% organic cotton that is grown without chemical pesticides or insecticides.
- The Everyone Mid-Rise Jogger is a gender-neutral jogger also made from recycled scraps found on cutting room floors.
- The Everyone Legging is a gender-neutral legging built from recycled water bottles.
- The Everyone Puffer Vest is constructed from recycled plastic bottles.
- The Everyone Half-Zip Fleece features a lived-in, relaxed fit and is also made from recycled plastic bottles.
Men, would you buy clothing from “Girlfriend?”
The question is, will guys buy from a brand named “Girlfriend Collective?”
I know something about brand limitations, having christened this blog Modern Fellows before it occurred to me that I could cover issues like the cheapest unisex eyeglasses and athleisure alternatives to Lululemon for women as well as men.
That said, I don’t think that my nod to modern “fellows” has hurt my readership or ability to build trust and authenticity as I have expanded my aperture to cover new issues. It will be interesting to see how popular Girlfriend’s menswear and gender-neutral collections prove.
Photo credits: All photos courtesy of Girlfriend Collective.
About JakeJake is an expert on men’s style and fashion based in Washington, DC. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs and innovative clothing and lifestyle brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. He has published hundreds of articles on style and apparel, and regularly interviews small business CEOs and startup founders about industry trends. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* Get $25 off your first experience with Wantable, an amazing online personal styling option for men and women.
* Take 10% off your first order from Proper Cloth, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* For comfortable Athleisure clothing for women and men, try these 25 alternatives to lululemon.
* Find 21 Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* The Essential List: These 125 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Upgrade your business casual wardrobe with comfortable yet professional-looking workleisure clothing made from stretchy performance fabrics.
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* Discover the best places to buy colorful socks online.