Founded in 2009, North Carolina-based startup Lumina Clothing opened a flagship store in downtown Raleigh in November 2012, which showcases their growing line of men’s clothing and accessories along with a selection of complementary products from up-and-coming American manufacturers. Modern Fellows took a tour during a recent visit to the Triangle with Director of Operations Paul Connor.
Founder Barton Strawn, who began Lumina as a hobby, making cotton neckties for himself and his friends, designed and built the clean, wood-and-exposed-brick space with Paul. In addition to carrying their own products, the shop houses products from other American-made brands, including socks from Zkano, Field Notes, Ebbets Field hats, and Imperial grooming products.
The company is enthusiastic about the prospect of expanding their American-made lineup of men’s shirts, pants and accessories. Looking ahead, they will shortly begin selling jeans via a partnership with Greensboro-based Cone Denim Mills.
Lumina is also looking to bolster options for dressier office styles, experimenting with different collar and cuff styles, higher thread counts and smaller stitch lengths for new shirts and introducing a few silk ties.
On the business end, the founders are currently lining up pitches to attract a first tranche of venture capital to expand their line of American-made products.
While it will likely be a while before the startup opens another store, in the medium-term the company may consider opening additional retail stores in other regions of the country. For now, Lumina is focusing on direct to consumer sales as opposed to wholesale to attempt to keep costs to the consumer down.
Paul credits Lumina with having “the most obtainably-priced American-made shirt and pants on the market right now,” and pledges that the company will remain “obtainable for all.”
Have a look around their Raleigh outpost. While the shop will undergo some renovations in the near future, the look is likely to remain the same.
Photos taken with permission.
About JakeJake is passionate about exploring entrepreneurs' global journeys. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs behind the innovative brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine, and has provided analysis on international business for BBC Radio, NBC News, CNN and Time Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* The Essential List: These 48 innovative startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Discover more than 30 thoughtful gift ideas for men from unique shirts to colorful socks
* Shop Modern Fellows' list of recommended menswear brands.
* Search 12 Thoughtful Gift Ideas for the Modern Dad for Fathers' Day, Christmas or his birthday
* Browse our list of essential men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy men's socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers
* Find Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* Explore 10 options for amazing chinos from these menswear startup alternatives to Brooks Brothers.
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of our favorite online custom tailors.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of our favorite online custom shirtmakers.