After several months of beta-testing, Modern Fellows officially launches this week. Dedicated to professional men’s style, the new website focuses on the entrepreneurs behind the current renaissance in tailored clothing. Through interviews, features and selected advice and resources from around the web, Modern Fellows works to spotlight and better appreciate the individuals that are helping men to dress better and feel more confident in their appearance.
Modern Fellows specifically highlights:
- The new generation of entrepreneurs driving a revolution in custom tailoring. From brick and mortar operations like Michael Andrews Bespoke to internet-based start-ups such as Alton Lane and Black Lapel, a number of recent entrants into the marketplace are making custom clothing more accessible for everyone from recent college graduates to Wall Street bankers. Modern Fellows will feature interviews and get to know the companies through their products.
- Manufacturers and retailers who are emphasizing American-made goods. Technology makes it increasingly easy to access well-made wares from Europe, Asia and elsewhere, but there is something particularly satisfying in getting to know the designers, manufacturers, retailers and writers who are refocusing men on items crafted in America.
- Professional style in the nation’s capital. Washington has become a destination for modern menswear in recent years, from the HMX Group’s Streets of Georgetown to Dutch-based Suit Supply, which last month opened its doors in the Four Seasons Hotel. This new energy builds on a rich history of style in the District, including tailors and retail professionals who have been in the business for decades and who are well-worth getting to know better.
- The writers, retailers, and creative individuals who are making properly fitting clothing more accessible and interesting in the digital age. In under a decade, menswear has been transformed by retailers and writers who are using technology and social media to communicate and grow. There are a number of great resources out there, but often difficult to sift through online.
Modern Fellows is written and maintained by a professional based in Washington who wants to get to know the interesting individuals who are breathing new life into professional men’s style. Here’s how to stay connected:
Photo credit: Created by Libby Levi for opensource.com
About JakeJake is an expert on men’s style and fashion based in Washington, DC. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs and innovative clothing and lifestyle brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. He has published hundreds of articles on style and apparel, and regularly interviews small business CEOs and startup founders about industry trends. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* Get $25 off your first experience with Wantable, an amazing online personal styling option for men and women.
* For comfortable Athleisure clothing for women and men, try these 25 alternatives to lululemon.
* Find 21 Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* The Essential List: These 125 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Upgrade your business casual wardrobe with comfortable yet professional-looking workleisure clothing made from stretchy performance fabrics.
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* Discover the best places to buy colorful socks online.