In 2017, husband and wife Cesar and Pial Vega launched Quavaro at the Eastern Market Flea Market in Southeast Washington, DC, culminating a long journey from development work to fashion entrepreneurs.
Today, nestled in a historic row house in Eastern Market, the two mind a physical shop selling Quavaro’s line of handmade leather goods for men and women. Their team is also ramping up an online platform that sells their goods and showcases their factory, team and impact in Mexico, where the goods are made.
The couple sells unique, handcrafted backpacks, tote bags, duffles, weekenders, laptop bags, leather portfolios, wallets, dopp kits (pictured above) and other accessories for men and women.
Their products are all inspired by vintage aviation. On display at the store, the Albatross bag in herringbone canvas and leather (pictured below) draws inspiration from vintage pilot helmet bags.
During a recent visit to their store in Eastern Market, Pial noted that Quavaro sells about half of their merchandise to women and half to men.
To get to this point, the couple went from an early idea to sell leather goods eventually, in 2018, to investing in their own factory and workers in Leon, Guanajuato, located in central Mexico.
Visit Quavaro in Eastern Market at 323 7th Street, SE, Washington, DC 20003, around the corner from the Eastern Market metro (blue, orange and silver lines).
You can also buy select Quavaro bags, and learn more about Pial and Cesar’s journey, in the gift shop of the brand new DC History Center on the second floor of the renovated Carnegie Library.
About JakeJake is an expert on men’s style and fashion based in Washington, DC. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs and innovative clothing and lifestyle brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. He has published hundreds of articles on style and apparel, and regularly interviews small business CEOs and startup founders about industry trends. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* Get $25 off your first experience with Wantable, an amazing online personal styling option for men and women.
* For comfortable Athleisure clothing for women and men, try these 25 alternatives to lululemon.
* Find 21 Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* The Essential List: These 125 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Upgrade your business casual wardrobe with comfortable yet professional-looking workleisure clothing made from stretchy performance fabrics.
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* Discover the best places to buy colorful socks online.