In 2017, husband and wife Cesar and Pial Vega launched Quavaro at the Eastern Market Flea Market in Southeast Washington, DC, culminating a long journey from development work to fashion entrepreneurs.
Today, nestled in a historic row house in Eastern Market, the two mind a physical shop selling Quavaro’s line of handmade leather goods for men and women. Their team is also ramping up an online platform that sells their goods and showcases their factory, team and impact in Mexico, where the goods are made.
The couple sells unique, handcrafted backpacks, tote bags, duffles, weekenders, laptop bags, leather portfolios, wallets, dopp kits (pictured above) and other accessories for men and women.
Their products are all inspired by vintage aviation. On display at the store, the Albatross bag in herringbone canvas and leather (pictured below) draws inspiration from vintage pilot helmet bags.
During a recent visit to their store in Eastern Market, Pial noted that Quavaro sells about half of their merchandise to women and half to men.
To get to this point, the couple went from an early idea to sell leather goods eventually, in 2018, to investing in their own factory and workers in Leon, Guanajuato, located in central Mexico.
Visit Quavaro in Eastern Market at 323 7th Street, SE, Washington, DC 20003, around the corner from the Eastern Market metro (blue, orange and silver lines).
You can also buy select Quavaro bags, and learn more about Pial and Cesar’s journey, in the gift shop of the brand new DC History Center on the second floor of the renovated Carnegie Library.
About JakeJake is passionate about exploring entrepreneurs' global journeys. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs behind the innovative brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine, and has provided analysis on international business for BBC Radio, NBC News, CNN and Time Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* The Essential List: These 48 innovative startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Discover more than 30 thoughtful gift ideas for men from unique shirts to colorful socks
* Shop Modern Fellows' list of recommended menswear brands.
* Search 12 Thoughtful Gift Ideas for the Modern Dad for Fathers' Day, Christmas or his birthday
* Browse our list of essential men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy men's socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers
* Find Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* Explore 10 options for amazing chinos from these menswear startup alternatives to Brooks Brothers.
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of our favorite online custom tailors.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of our favorite online custom shirtmakers.