Shifting from dress shirts to workleisure and Zoom shirts
The COVID-19 pandemic has caused a seismic shift in weekday warriors’ wardrobes.
While it’s been a difficult journey for many apparel companies, it’s also been nice to see some of my favorite stores get creative or double-down on product lines that help serve the new normal of Zoom shirts and affordable athleisure joggers and leggings.
Reviewing Proper Cloth custom dress shirts
Proper Cloth has been one of my top choices for custom men’s clothing for years.
The New York-based menswear startup is one of the best example of the kind of stylish men’s online companies helping guys dress sharp in the digital age.
I’ve reviewed Proper Cloth’s shirts and enjoy their range of fabrics, their interesting photos and the ease with which you can perfect your fit.
While the company is well-known for crisp and traditional dress shirts for men, Proper Cloth has always had a flair for casual button downs and interesting fabrics.
In addition to featuring poplins and twills for the office, Proper Cloth has long-stocked a range of casual linens, chambrays, flannels and denim.
Look out for Proper Cloth’s limited-run washed indigo casual shirts
Every few months, Proper Cloth would release a new collection of shirting available to order for a limited time.
The most recent lineup, released in December 2020, saw gorgeous raw indigo plaids that originate from Lake Como, Italy along with denim, chambray and textured fabric blends from Japan and Italy. (Proper Cloth washes the fabrics and then customizes them for your fit profile.)
I ordered, and recently received, a striking washed indigo and yellow plaid shirt by Italian mill Canclini.
In keeping with the casual look of the fabric, I customized the shirt with a soft Franklin spread collar, soft Long One Button Cuff, rounded flap pockets, soft front placket, split yoke and slate horn buttons.
What I like most about the shirt is that it’s different than most of the other mostly dark hues that adorn the other button-down casual shirts in my closet.
The yellow gives the shirt a nice pop. The fabric, which is soft and medium-weight, is definitely meant for business casual or simply casual situations.
I’m impressed (though expected nothing less from one of my favorite men’s clothing brands).
About JakeJake is passionate about exploring entrepreneurs' global journeys. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs behind the innovative brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and/or fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine, and has provided analysis on international business for BBC Radio, NBC News, CNN and Time Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* For comfortable Athleisure clothing for women and men, try these 25 alternatives to lululemon.
* Find 21 Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* The Essential List: These 106 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Upgrade your work-from-home wardrobe with comfortable yet professional-looking workleisure clothing made from stretchy performance fabrics.
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* Try these impressive digital native brands for your next Zoom shirt. (Because you need a new Zoom shirt.)
* Browse my favorite men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy unique and colorful socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of my favorite online custom shirtmakers.