A “near-weightless” three-layer utility jacket for under $200 is expiring on Kickstarter soon.
Kickstarter has been a fun way for me to discover new startup apparel brands like American Trench, Boldfoot Socks and Ace Marks shoes, and is a good way for businesses to test demand and receive feedback. So every once in a while, I browse through Kickstarter’s listings.
Today I discovered an interesting listing courtesy of Matsubun Sangyo, a Japanese textile producer based in Katsuyama City on the Sea of Japan.
On offer? A unisex weatherproof CLOTO Utility Jacket that the company advertises as “light and fluffy” yet warm and cozy owing to its unique 3-layer design, which was launched in collaboration with Peak Japan.
The quilted jacket is made from a water-repellent and wrinkle-resistant twisted-thread polyester fabric. The company has over 130 years of experience in the textile industry.
If you want to back the project, you have until Friday, February 2, 2024 at 9:59 AM eastern to do so. By pledging about $163 (24,000 Yen), you can secure an “early Bird CLOTO Jacket” as a reward, which is 20% off the regular retail price. (Remember that the deal with Kickstarter is that rewards aren’t guaranteed.)
Would you make a pledge on Kickstarter for it? Are there alternatives that are worth considering?
About JakeJake is an expert on men’s style and fashion based in Washington, DC. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs and innovative clothing and lifestyle brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. He has published hundreds of articles on style and apparel, and regularly interviews small business CEOs and startup founders about industry trends. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* Get $25 off your first experience with Wantable, an amazing online personal styling option for men and women.
* Take 10% off your first order from Proper Cloth, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* For comfortable Athleisure clothing for women and men, try these 25 alternatives to lululemon.
* Find 21 Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* The Essential List: These 125 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Upgrade your business casual wardrobe with comfortable yet professional-looking workleisure clothing made from stretchy performance fabrics.
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* Discover the best places to buy colorful socks online.