I still remember the first dress shirts I bought out of college. In New York City, I went to the Brooks Brothers flagship store and bought several shirts with pinpoint collars and button cuffs. Technically, they were my size, but they billowed out uncontrollably. You could have stuck two of my torsos side-by-side in those shirts.
At the time, it didn’t really bother me. I persisted in those comically baggy things until I took a trip to Thailand and had a couple of dress shirts made for $25 apiece. If they weren’t the finest fabrics, at least they fit properly. It was an awakening. When I arrived home, I immediately retired my set of Brooks Brothers regular fit shirts.
More than a decade later, it is now much easier to find slim off-the-rack options. Even Brooks Brothers has an extra-slim fit line.
Affordable custom clothing, however, no longer requires a trip abroad — or to a cavernous hotel in major American cities where Asian and European tailors have traditionally held trunk shows. Thanks to a new generation of American entrepreneurs, there are a mind-boggling number of options for relatively-affordable custom professional clothing, which is both inspiring and overwhelming.
Choosing to be inspired rather than overwhelmed, Modern Fellows is embarking on a “Custom Project.” The goal of this project is to get to know this new generation of American entrepreneurs and businesspeople and to spotlight their products, opinions on men’s professional style and motivations for getting into the business. To follow will be product reviews, interviews and photo tours of a variety of custom clothiers, with an initial focus on finding the perfect dress shirt.
About JakeJake is an expert on men’s style and fashion based in Washington, DC. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs and innovative clothing and lifestyle brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. He has published hundreds of articles on style and apparel, and regularly interviews small business CEOs and startup founders about industry trends. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* Get $25 off your first experience with Wantable, an amazing online personal styling option for men and women.
* Take 10% off your first order from Proper Cloth, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* For comfortable Athleisure clothing for women and men, try these 25 alternatives to lululemon.
* Find 21 Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* The Essential List: These 125 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Upgrade your business casual wardrobe with comfortable yet professional-looking workleisure clothing made from stretchy performance fabrics.
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* Discover the best places to buy colorful socks online.