In an era of twitter and ever-declining attention spans, an increasingly-frequent tendency is to adopt generic, over-the-top shorthand to describe a relatively ordinary event. If everything is a “game-changer,” nothing is. When CNN suggests “breaking news” is happening 12 hours a day, it’s easy to tune out. So it is with GQ’s March “Style Bible,” which might more accurately be described as a style pamphlet.
Their anchor is the “GQ 100,” sixteen pages of mostly-pithy style tips, including “a piece of ageless advice” from Tom Ford to “keep your jacket buttoned. Always.” Thanks guys. Numbers 53-68 are simply pictures of shoes.
GQ also has made a habit of drawing readers (this reader in particular) in with stellar covers — in this case three, featuring Drake, John Slattery (pictured) and Dave Franko in killer professional get-ups featuring suits from Gucci, Emporio Armani and Boss Black respectively — and then littering the inside content with white jeans, suits worn with sneakers and camouflage lace-ups. There is nothing in the August cover set-up that suggests their fascination with “dusty pastel” suits (No. 3 on the GQ 100) or sneaker boots finishing a cotton suit (No. 4).
In short, I agree with Glen at the Gentlemen’s Standard.
About JakeJake is passionate about exploring entrepreneurs' global journeys. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs behind the innovative brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and/or fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine, and has provided analysis on international business for BBC Radio, NBC News, CNN and Time Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* For comfortable Athleisure clothing for women and men, try these 25 alternatives to lululemon.
* Find 21 Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* The Essential List: These 106 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Upgrade your work-from-home wardrobe with comfortable yet professional-looking workleisure clothing made from stretchy performance fabrics.
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* Try these impressive digital native brands for your next Zoom shirt. (Because you need a new Zoom shirt.)
* Browse my favorite men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy unique and colorful socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of my favorite online custom shirtmakers.