The calendar says spring and it is finally starting to feel like it. Time to trade heavy winter jackets and functional snow boots for new shoes and clothes. Here is what Modern Fellows is looking forward to as the weather brightens.
The thing about winter is the weather often necessitates function over form. Who in their right mind would put on an unlined, patch pocket blazer (above) courtesy of Knot Standard’s new DC showroom when the thermometer is hovering around the freezing mark?
Who wants to wear this amazing new pair of oxfords from the Left Shoe Company (now closed!) when the ground is caked with salt and pocked with slushy puddles?
Now that spring has sprung, it’s easy to warm to new collections from the likes of Black Lapel, which just published a new lookbook to coincide with the release of a dapper spring/summer 2015 line that includes the blue windowpane suit with shadow check pictured above.
And to Unsimply Stitched, whose President Alex Hendeles recently released a bright and cheery new line of socks for the season, including a series of interesting layered polka dot selections pictured below, which he sent along to Modern Fellows to try.
Forget New Year’s resolutions. My spring resolution is to turn out some new clothes and kicks that prize form as much as function — and to write about the experiences.
This post is part of a series in collaboration with Details’ new social media hub, #Mydetails.
Disclosure: Modern Fellows has received merchandise at no cost from Black Lapel, Knot Standard, the Left Shoe Company and Unsimply Stitched.
About JakeJake is passionate about exploring entrepreneurs' global journeys. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs behind the innovative brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine, and has provided analysis on international business for BBC Radio, NBC News, CNN and Time Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* The Essential List: These 48 innovative startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Discover more than 30 thoughtful gift ideas for men from unique shirts to colorful socks
* Shop Modern Fellows' list of recommended menswear brands.
* Search 12 Thoughtful Gift Ideas for the Modern Dad for Fathers' Day, Christmas or his birthday
* Browse our list of essential men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy men's socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers
* Find Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* Explore 10 options for amazing chinos from these menswear startup alternatives to Brooks Brothers.
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of our favorite online custom tailors.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of our favorite online custom shirtmakers.