The calendar says spring and it is finally starting to feel like it. Time to trade heavy winter jackets and functional snow boots for new shoes and clothes. Here is what Modern Fellows is looking forward to as the weather brightens.
The thing about winter is the weather often necessitates function over form. Who in their right mind would put on an unlined, patch pocket blazer (above) courtesy of Knot Standard’s new DC showroom when the thermometer is hovering around the freezing mark?
Who wants to wear this amazing new pair of oxfords from the Left Shoe Company (now closed!) when the ground is caked with salt and pocked with slushy puddles?
Now that spring has sprung, it’s easy to warm to new collections from the likes of Black Lapel, which just published a new lookbook to coincide with the release of a dapper spring/summer 2015 line that includes the blue windowpane suit with shadow check pictured above.
And to Unsimply Stitched, whose President Alex Hendeles recently released a bright and cheery new line of socks for the season, including a series of interesting layered polka dot selections pictured below, which he sent along to Modern Fellows to try.
Forget New Year’s resolutions. My spring resolution is to turn out some new clothes and kicks that prize form as much as function — and to write about the experiences.
This post is part of a series in collaboration with Details’ new social media hub, #Mydetails.
Disclosure: Modern Fellows has received merchandise at no cost from Black Lapel, Knot Standard, the Left Shoe Company and Unsimply Stitched.
About JakeJake is passionate about exploring entrepreneurs' global journeys. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs behind the innovative brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and/or fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine, and has provided analysis on international business for BBC Radio, NBC News, CNN and Time Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* Get $25 off your first experience with Wantable, an amazing online personal styling option for men and women.
* For comfortable Athleisure clothing for women and men, try these 25 alternatives to lululemon.
* Find 21 Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* The Essential List: These 125 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Upgrade your business casual wardrobe with comfortable yet professional-looking workleisure clothing made from stretchy performance fabrics.
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* Discover the best places to buy colorful socks online.