August 30 marked the eagerly awaited opening of Dutch-based Suit Supply in Washington, DC. Their DC outpost, at 2800 Pennsylvania Avenue in the Four Seasons in Georgetown, is their third in the United States following entries into New York and Chicago last year. The company is preceded by a stellar online reputation — check out Yelp and Style Forum — and an impressive Wall Street Journal article, and has designed an attractive and welcoming space in the District.
Suit Supply bills itself as an affordable luxury. At the opening, Suit Supply Founder Fokke de Jong told Hollywood on the Potomac that, “We bring a very high luxury kind of product for a very attainable price.” He goes on to suggest that Suit Supply is able to do that because of its vertically-integrated operation. The company designs, makes and sells off-the-rack and made-to-measure dress shirts and suits direct to consumers, along with a line of coats, jackets and accessories.
Opening day was high-energy, with a large staff helping first-day traffic as caterers with wine glasses swarmed around getting ready for the opening night party. Staff were impeccably-dressed and cheerfully knowledgeable about the brand, most of them having spent some time training up in their New York store prior to opening. Have a look inside:
Photos taken with permission.
About JakeJake is passionate about exploring entrepreneurs' global journeys. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs behind the innovative brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and/or fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine, and has provided analysis on international business for BBC Radio, NBC News, CNN and Time Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* Upgrade your work-from-home wardrobe with comfortable yet professional-looking workleisure clothing made from stretchy performance fabrics.
* Try these impressive digital native brands for your next Zoom shirt. (Because you need a new Zoom shirt.)
* Find 21 Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* The Essential List: These 78 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* Discover why these 17 innovative menswear brands are among my favorites.
* Browse my favorite men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy unique and colorful socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of my favorite online custom shirtmakers.