Nestled between Luna Grill and one of four Starbucks in Dupont Circle in Washington DC, Avenue Jack can be easy to miss. The new menswear outlet looks like it’s been in the neighborhood forever – the façade nearly blends into the Starbucks – though it only opened its doors in April 2015.
Avenue Jack is the brainchild of DC resident Scott Wallis. Wallis, who lives nearby and staffs the store regularly along with a handful of friendly and laid-back colleagues, has a background in the apparel business as owner of kids-focused House of Mongrel. This is his first foray into menswear.
The independent menswear store is a welcome addition to the Dupont Circle neighborhood and to the menswear community in the DMV, taking its place alongside other recent additions including Blank Label, Frank and Oak, Read Wall and Trunk Club along with the more established Suit Supply DC. (Washingtonian has a nice article featuring Avenue Jack and 3 other unique places to shop in Washington DC.)
The store trends casual with beach trunks, henleys and jeans, though there is a decent selection of dressier accessories including ties from Thetiebar, pocket squares, underwear from Bread and Soda and umbrellas.
There is also a unique selection of gifts for men and District of Columbia-themed odds-and-ends.
Wallis and his team are hosting “First Friday” events, a casual way to introduce the brand to the local community over free drinks.
Our only regret? Avenue Jack replaced Copenhaver, a terrific local stationary store – further evidence of the pressures of e-commerce and email on local businesses that sell things made of paper.
Avenue Jack, 1301 Connecticut Ave., NW
Other cool stuff:* Discover more than 30 thoughtful gift ideas for men from unique shirts to colorful socks
* Shop Modern Fellows' list of recommended menswear brands.
* Search 12 Thoughtful Gift Ideas for the Modern Dad for Fathers' Day, Christmas or his birthday
* Browse our list of essential men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy men's socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers
* Find Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* Explore 10 options for amazing chinos from these menswear startup alternatives to Brooks Brothers.
* Get $25 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of our favorite online custom tailors.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of our favorite online custom shirtmakers.