Get to know Topo Designs, a backpack and adventure-gear shop that appeals to hikers and professionals alike.
About Topo Designs
In 2008, Topo Designs founders Mark Hansen and Jedd Rose began prototyping travel packs in Jedd’s basement in Fort Collins, Colorado. Fast-forward more than a decade, and Topos Designs has become a darling of travel, adventure and lifestyle gear.
The company produces really attractive, functional and durable bags for laptops, travel, work and hiking.
While some brands can get pigeonholed into selling functional hiking gear only, or siloed into sleek work bags, Topos Designs has managed to position its brand as cool across multiple segments.
Topos is also available online at the also-well-curated Huckberry and via major retailers including the always innovative Nordstrom and at Zappos.com. Hiking and adventure gear retailers including REI and Moosejaw also stock the brand.
Are Topo Designs packs made in the USA?
One thing I admire about Topos is they embrace local and global at the same time.
Jeff and Mark began their journey working with local manufacturers and suppliers in Colorado who were, like them, just getting their feet on the ground. Their initial production was made in America. In fact, they were made in Colorado.
They note that American manufacturing will always be a big part of their brand and identity. But they also embrace the global economy and recognize that talent is everywhere:
We search long and hard for talented partners to help us build our products. Whether we’re building classic packs in Colorado, organic cotton tees in Mexico, insulation pieces in Canada, or technical shells in Vietnam, our partners are the most talented people on the globe.
Do you own a Topo Designs pack? What’s been your experience? Leave your thoughts in the comments.
About JakeJake is passionate about exploring entrepreneurs' global journeys. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs behind the innovative brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine, and has provided analysis on international business for BBC Radio, NBC News, CNN and Time Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* The Essential List: These 41 innovative startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Discover more than 30 thoughtful gift ideas for men from unique shirts to colorful socks
* Shop Modern Fellows' list of recommended menswear brands.
* Search 12 Thoughtful Gift Ideas for the Modern Dad for Fathers' Day, Christmas or his birthday
* Browse our list of essential men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy men's socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers
* Find Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* Explore 10 options for amazing chinos from these menswear startup alternatives to Brooks Brothers.
* Get $25 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of our favorite online custom tailors.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of our favorite online custom shirtmakers.