Bombfell, the subscription-based men’s clothing startup, will close.
Co-Founder Bernie Yoo sent out an email alerting its network of affiliates that, “Bombfell is closing its business and the affiliate program altogether.”
Bombfell subsequently posted a notice on its website that, “it is with a heavy heart that we inform you that bombfell is unable to continue operations.”
In its statement, Bombfell’s cofounders said:
Over the last decade, we’ve poured our blood, sweat and tears into building Bombfell and it is heartbreaking for us to have to deliver this message to you and close our doors. Your encouragement and support sustained us through it all, and it has meant everything to us to be there for you through your engagements, weddings, interviews and new jobs.AFTER 10 YEARS PIONEERING THE THEN-CRAZY IDEA OF HAVING AN ONLINE PERSONAL STYLIST, IT IS WITH A HEAVY HEART THAT WE INFORM YOU THAT BOMBFELL IS UNABLE TO CONTINUE OPERATIONS.
The company said it will not accept new registrations, but “will continue to accept returns and process refunds through October 31 for shipments already in progress.”
Bernie co-founded Bombfell in 2011, which became one of a number of subscription clothing options available to men. A shorted version of “bombshell-meets-fellow,” the company assigned customers a personal stylist, who would pick out a box of clothes to send every month.
The company did not charge a subscription or styling fee, and incorporated Artificial Intelligence (AI) to scan the internet to influence stylist decisions.
Other fashion retailers, from direct-to-consumer startups like Black Lapel to iconic brands like Brooks Brothers and J. Crew, have been rocked by the COVID-19 pandemic.
About JakeJake is passionate about exploring entrepreneurs' global journeys. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs behind the innovative brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and/or fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine, and has provided analysis on international business for BBC Radio, NBC News, CNN and Time Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* Upgrade your work-from-home wardrobe with comfortable yet professional-looking workleisure clothing made from stretchy performance fabrics.
* Try these impressive digital native brands for your next Zoom shirt. (Because you need a new Zoom shirt.)
* Find 21 Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* The Essential List: These 78 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* Discover why these 17 innovative menswear brands are among my favorites.
* Browse my favorite men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy unique and colorful socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of my favorite online custom shirtmakers.