Upgrade your Work from Home wardrobe and support small and independent businesses during trying times by shopping these sales.
Work from Home, support small and independent businesses
Small and independent businesses need support.
Of course that’s true for restaurants and local service companies who were forced to shut down or dramatically scale back operations during the coronavirus crisis.
It’s also true for the many direct-to-consumer small and independent businesses around the United States and the world.
To any would-be customers reading this, if your situation is stable, I would suggest trying to find ways to support small and independent businesses of all stripes — your neighborhood restaurants, and also your favorite shops or online brands. It will really help and sales will find their way into the hands of the people that need it most (garment workers and hourly staff).
I’ve had the opportunity to get to know a variety of innovative brands who are helping men dress sharp in the digital age, as well as fresh fashion brands for women and a number of affordable, independent online options for eyeglasses. They could use some help.
If you are able financially to upgrade your Work from Home wardrobe — or get started on refreshing your professional office attire for when life returns to normal (that’s going to happen, right?), now would be a good time to support independent brands and small businesses.
Below is a small list of small and independent businesses who are offering sales to get you started.
You can also check out my list of companies who are producing washable face masks for personal use.
If you’d like to suggest another company to add to this list, or who you think Modern Fellows should profile, please leave a note in the comments below or email me.
Work from Home Sales for Men
- Beckett Simonon – Buy any pair of shoes for $149 or any pair of boots for $179 with code TOGETHER. They are donating 1% of sales to Feeding America. See why I think Beckett Simonon’s shoes are among my favorites.
- Billy Reid – Up to 70% during Bill Reid’s spring pop-up.
- Herschel Supply Co. has absolutely fantastic deals across its site for bags and backpacks for men (and women). I love my the slim, lightweight briefcase that I own.
- Hugh and Crye is offering their existing customers 35% off their next order (w/code THANKYOU35), and 20% off for new customers (w/code THANKYOU20). This DC-based startup is one of my favorites for dress shirts. (They invented a better fit system for button down shirts.)
- Ledbury – One of my all-time-favorite clothing brands for men, is slashing 25% off sitewide, and your purchase will help provide meals to local students in need. 5 meals donated for every $100 spent.
- Ministry of Supply is offering free shipping on all orders and will donate 20% of its sales to medical mask production. (Check out my interview with Ministry of Supply CEO and co-Founder Aman Advani for more about the brand.)
- Roots is offering 20% off plus free shipping for its great selection of outdoorsy apparel and gear for men and women.
- Wolf & Shepherd – Take 25% off sitewide with code GETCOMFY. (Explore Modern Fellows’ review of Wolf and Shepherd shoes for more about one of my favorite shoe brands.)
Work from Home Sales for Women
- Aday is taking $5 off each order of its professional performance clothing for women so you can pay it forward to a local business.
- Boden takes 20% off everything with code E6E3. The store is one of my wife’s absolute favorites for workwear, business casual and weekend outfits. (They sell clothing for men and kids too.)
- Cuyana is offering a coupon for a 15% discount sitewide off of their timeless business casual apparel and accessories for modern women.
- Grana offers an extra 15% off when you spend over US$280 of this Hong Kong-based retailer’s cool clothing made from luxury fabrics like cashmere, Peruvian Pima cotton, Australian Tencel and Chinese Silk.
- Modern Citizen offers free shipping plus an extra 10% off two or more sale items from this sleek brand that Glamour says is “on its way to becoming the next big direct-to-consumer fashion brand.“
- Summersalt will take 25% off your purchase of designer swimwear without the designer prices, and will donate $15 for every $125 order to No Kid Hungry’s relief efforts.
Additional options for upgrading your Work from Home Wardrobe
For more inspiration on upgrading your Work from Home wardrobe, see:
- Performance business casual wear that will get you comfortable while looking good for your videoconferences;
- Options for a new trenchcoat to take your daily stroll;
- Classy leather sneakers to wear around the neighborhood,
- Spiffy new dress shoes to wear at the office.
You can also find a number of innovative small businesses and startups on Amazon. Also check out Amazon’s Launchpad program, which curates and showcases products from innovative brands.
Photo credit: Photo by Thomas Litangen on Unsplash
About JakeJake is passionate about exploring entrepreneurs' global journeys. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs behind the innovative brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and/or fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine, and has provided analysis on international business for BBC Radio, NBC News, CNN and Time Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* Upgrade your work-from-home wardrobe with comfortable yet professional-looking workleisure clothing made from stretchy performance fabrics.
* Try these impressive digital native brands for your next Zoom shirt. (Because you need a new Zoom shirt.)
* Find 21 Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* The Essential List: These 78 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* Discover why these 17 innovative menswear brands are among my favorites.
* Browse my favorite men's style books.
* Discover the best places to buy unique and colorful socks online.
* Check out these gorgeous, affordable watches with numbers.
* Score $20 off your first shirt at Proper Cloth, one of my favorite online custom shirtmakers.