TLDR: Faherty Is an Outstanding Choice for Elevated, Heritage-Quality Clothing
Faherty offers a stylish array of versatile, heritage-quality clothing for women and men. The stylish clothing startup has become one of my go-to options for comfortable business and smart casual attire.
In a world of SHEIN-influenced fast fashion that sees clothing often discarded after just a few wears, I’ve come to appreciate the trade-off of paying more for pieces that are worthy (and capable) of lasting a long time. I feel like I could pass down my Faherty Legend Shirt or Teton Jacket to my future grandkids the same way my grandfather passed down his shacket to me.
About Faherty Brand
Founded in 2013, Faherty is a family company “all about great quality, legendary comfort and good vibes.”
Faherty offers a range of stylish, comfortable and sustainably-produced clothing for women and men. Signature styles include their soft and cozy Legend Sweater Shirt for women and men, outerwear and a range of sweaters and pants.
Faherty is an excellent example of a sustainable clothing brand that seeks to be intentional across its manufacturing, materials, packaging and community practices. On its website, Faherty notes that it is “fueled by purpose and leaving the world better than we found it.”
The company partners with organizations including 1% for the planet, the Textile Exchange, the Surfrider Foundation and bluesign. They also collaborate with Native artists including Doug Good Feather of the Lakota People and Bethany Yellowtail of the Northern Cheyenne Nation and support A Second U, which places formerly-incarcerated men and women in the personal training industry.
A little background:
- Alex Faherty, met his wife Kelly when he was a poly sci student at Yale University, spent years in private equity at Cerberus Capital Management and, before that, with Greenill and Co and Winchester Capital.
- Kelly Docherty went to Pepperdine Law School following her time with Alex at Yale. She has a background in human rights and mindfulness, having served as a law clerk for the ACLU and U.S. Magistrate Joan M. Azrack before founding The Mindful Mentors to provide practical tools for dealing with stress to students, parents and professionals. She’s also an author of the children’s book “Somewhere Right Now,” which is available on Amazon and via Faherty’s stores.
- Prior to co-founding Faherty, Mike Faherty was a Senior Designer at Ralph Lauren for more than 6 years.
What Makes Faherty Brand Unique?
“A huge part of what differentiates Faherty from our competitors is the authenticity and relatability of our content,” Alex observes.
“In our imagery, we use real photos of our families and our friends wearing our clothes, making the brand and our product super relatable to our customers,” he adds.
I look forward to receiving Faherty Brand’s periodic mail order clothing catalogs, each of which tell a story and convey the down-to-earth vibe of the brand.
“We also speak up about things we’re passionate about like sustainability in the fashion industry and the use of Native American designs,” notes Alex. “We have never leaned away from sharing our thoughts and providing resources to educate our customers.”
Faherty is “holding ourselves accountable” for the materials and lifecycle of its apparel, Kelly told The Glossy Podcast. It set a goal of ensuring that 85% of fabrics are sustainable and 90% of packaging will be “plastic-free” she noted.
Alex notes that Faherty’s customers want to support a brand that aligns with their values. “By being a brand that puts [our values] first, we have created relationships with consumers that make us stand out amongst the crowd and have built a strong community that goes beyond the digital noise.”
All of that is true, but the reason why I have gone back to Faherty so often is because of it’s focus on making what Alex calls “better products that you will own for years to come.”
This is the First Item You Should Try from Faherty, According to Its Co-Founder
I asked Alex what would be the first article of clothing he would suggest for a consumer who is new to Faherty. Here is his response:
I would always recommend the Legend Sweater Shirt. It’s personally one of my favorites. It is a classic style that comes in both men’s and women’s and is a favorite of our customers.
The shirt is so comfortable and soft and becomes an instant favorite that can be worn throughout the year as a great layering option. I think this style really speaks to the brand’s ability to make better products that you will own for years to come and are high quality.Alex Faherty, Chief Executive Officer, Faherty, in an interview with Modern Fellows
Reviewing Faherty Brand’s Most Popular Clothing
Alex observed that, “what is so great about Faherty is that we have versatile pieces that can be worn from the office to dinner with your friends without feeling like you’re overdressed.”
In addition to the Legend Sweater Shirt, he points to several best-sellers that can help women and men dress for the new normal:
- Stretch Terry 5 Pocket Pants (men and women): One of Alex’s favorite versatile articles of clothing is Faherty’s Stretch Terry 5 Pocket Pant. “This style feels like you’re in sweatpants but has a really classic look that can go from the office to dinner or even to a less formal wedding,” he said. He notes that it’s a favorite amongst Faherty Brand’s male customers and they are launching a new take on their Stretch Terry Pants for women.
- Inlet Blazer (men): Another one of my favorites is the Inlet Blazer. This is such a great core style that can be worn at work and to a nice dinner or wedding. The style is so comfortable you won’t feel like you’re wearing a blazer all day and we refer to it as the blazer for guys who don’t wear blazers.
- Sweaters (women and men): Alex notes that he especially loves Faherty’s sweaters for men and women. “They make for great transitional pieces not only for going from Winter to Spring but also for going from the office to a night out with friends,” he said. The Sunwashed Fisherman style, which comes in both a crew and cardigan, is “incredibly soft.”
Faherty Sales, Promos, and Discount Codes
Faherty does not make a habit of deep discounts, though it’s possible to find sales and promo codes directly from the brand as well as via its network of retail partners.
- 15% Off Faherty Brand: Get 15% off at Faherty when you sign up for emails or texts online.
- Up to 70% Off at Faherty’s Warehouse Sale: Faherty Brand maintains an ongoing “Warehouse Sale” promotion that offers discounts of up to 70% off men’s and women’s cltohing. Deals have included 70% off a chunky faire isle sweater for women and 61% off Faherty’s signature Legend Sweater Shirt.
- Faherty’s Black Friday Sale is an annual event that sees significant discounts across its lineup. For example, Faherty took 25% off (almost) everything on orders of $250 or more during its Black Friday 2022 clothing sale.
Where to Buy Faherty Clothing (Online and In Store)
Faherty is an omni-channel retailer that offers a number of convenient ways to shop online or in-person.
Where to Shop Faherty Brand Online
- Faherty’s website: Faherty Brand is a Direct-to-Consumer retailer that offers an excellent selection of its clothing for purchase on its website.
- Online retailers: You can also find Faherty clothing at a wide variety of online retailers. Shop Faherty Brand at Nordstrom (one of my favorite places to shop for clothes online), Huckberry, Bloomingdales, Backcountry, Shopbop, and Otrium. These third party retailers often carry previous seasons’ selections that may no longer be available at Faherty’s website, and often have different sales and sizes available. Finally, retailers like Huckberry (which is a phenomenal place to discover elevated menswear brands) have a history of carrying exclusive Faherty pieces that aren’t available elsewhere.
- Vintage clothing online platforms: Among online secondhand and vintage stores, eBay and Mercari tend to have excellent selections of used Faherty Brand clothing. For even more options to buy preloved clothing from Faherty, see Modern Fellows’ guide to the best online secondhand and vintage clothing stores.
Faherty Stores and Physical Retail Partners
Faherty also maintains an extensive physical retail network for those who would prefer to shop IRL:
- Faherty Stores: Shop Faherty’s brick-and-mortar stores across the United States. Faherty offers stores everywhere from San Francisco and Venice, California to Nashville, Tennessee to Prince Street in Manhattan to my nearest location in Washington, DC’s Georgetown neighborhood.
- Faherty’s Physical Retail Partners: Faherty also has an extensive wholesale network. You can shop Faherty at Nordstrom’s physical retail stores across the country as well as via a number of independent retailers. Look for Faherty’s clothing in local independent retailers in the United States like Texas’ Stag Provisions and St. Bernards, Tennessee’s Oak Hall, Twigs in Madison, Wisconsin, Maryland’s Ruxton Mercantile, and Zest Clothing in Middleburg, Leesburg and Richmond, Virginia,
Faherty offers a generous 60 day return and exchange policy from the time of purchase. You can start the process for a return or exchange for any reason via Happy Returns. (I used Happy Returns in the past for a Huckberry order, and had a fabulous experience with this third-party returns facilitator.)
Faherty Customer Service and Lifetime Guarantee
Faherty offers an incredible lifetime guarantee on all of its products. The company says that, “if your item is faulty due to a manufacturing issue, we will happily exchange it or issue a return.” Those problems include things like button and zipper issues, tears at seams, sun damage and discoloration, and fabric holes, but does not include pilling or other normal wear and tear.
You can reach Faherty’s customer service by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling telephone number (877) 745-8994.
What Do You Think of Faherty?
Have you had a good experience with Faherty? What’s your favorite piece of clothing? Add your thoughts in the comments below.
About JakeJake is passionate about exploring entrepreneurs' global journeys. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs behind the innovative brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and/or fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine, and has provided analysis on international business for BBC Radio, NBC News, CNN and Time Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* Get $25 off your first experience with Wantable, an amazing online personal styling option for men and women.
* For comfortable Athleisure clothing for women and men, try these 25 alternatives to lululemon.
* Find 21 Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* The Essential List: These 125 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Upgrade your business casual wardrobe with comfortable yet professional-looking workleisure clothing made from stretchy performance fabrics.
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* Discover the best places to buy colorful socks online.