Keep reading to see why I think Huckberry deserves some of your hard-earned cash, and my review of the company’s clothing, sales, shipping and returns, plus advice from their co-founder.
TLDR: Huckberry is a Phenomenal (But Not Cheap) Online Menswear Destination
For my money, Huckberry is one of the best e-commerce destinations to shop for elevated menswear online. Co-Founders Richard Greiner and Andy Forch have invested heavily over more than a decade in developing an online platform that offers a wide selection of interesting smart and business casual clothing options and outdoor gear along with outstanding content and customer service.
While their clothing isn’t cheap, Huckberry is well-worth checking out for a number of foundational wardrobe pieces like their 365 pants, duck boots, outdoor slippers, and American-made waxed trucker jackets, essential hoodies and denim.
Richard Greiner and Andy Forch founded Huckberry in 2010. The menswear-focused retailer is the ultimate curated online department store, highlighting an incredible selection of men’s clothing, accessories and home goods from elevated brands.
Richard told me that, “our mission is to ‘Inspire and Equip Adventures near and far,'” and Huckberry’s vibe and marketing certainly stem from that ethos.
It’s been quite a journey for the founders, who have weathered a pandemic that changed clothing preferences and supply chain challenges. Reflecting on what he has learned running the business, Richard told me that long-term thinking needs to be paired with an action-orientated approach to your day-to-day.
“It’s easy to get caught up in quick wins or the popular thing, but they are often not sustainable in the long run, so be wary of the current thing,” he observed. That said, “if you aren’t action orientated you won’t learn and innovate, so you have to balance long-term vision with taking action.”
Huckberry’s Menswear Brands
Huckberry sells a number of private house brands as well as a variety of independent menswear labels.
Huckberry’s House Brands
Huckberry markets several house brands, which they feature prominently:
- Flint and Tinder was founded as an independent brand in 2012 by Jacob Bronstein. Buoyed by wildly successful Kickstarter campaigns, Flint and Tinder developed a reputation for quality underwear and its “10 year hoodie.” Huckberry acquired Flint and Tinder in 2016, becoming the exclusive retailer for the popular brand that was the first to surpass $1 million in sales on Kickstarter. Today, Flint and Tinder is a bestselling label for Huckberry that features waxed trucker jackets, 365 chinos and cords, American-made blue jeans and, of course, a range of 10-year hoodies.
- Proof is Huckberry’s workleisure brand. Proof’s clothing is constructed from technical performance fabrics that are stretchy, temperature regulating, odor-resistant and/or moisture-wicking. Proof’s Rover pants are a best-seller on Huckberry. Also look at Proof’s “72 Hour” merino polo shirt, Passport Field Jacket, Moonweight Puffer Vest and more.
- Wellen also began life as an independent brand, founded in 2007 by entrepreneur Matthew Jung. Through Huckberry, Wellen serves up outdoorsy California casual inspired clothing including sweaters, chore coats, puffer jackets and work pants.
- Wills is Huckberry’s “everyday luxury” brand, and one of the few options for dressier attire on the site. The brand incorporates high-end fabrics like cashmere, merino wool, linen, and Supima cotton and finishes into its lineup of vintage-inspired suit separates, chunky Aran cable crew and cardigan sweaters, cashmere-cotton polos, merino wool half-zip sweaters and more.
- All-Weather is Huckberry’s private label lineup of rugged shoes and boots. Huckberry advertises that the All-Weather Duckboot is one of its best sellers, and promises that they have “wear-test[ed] the hell out of them.” Their weatherproof collection features Vibram soles and comes in high-tops, pull-on midtops, sandals and more.
- Huckberry Gear is a tight selection of Huckberry-branded vintage outfitter tee shirts as well as accessories cruiser sunglasses, trucker hats, beanies and waxed canvas baseball caps.
- Forty-Five is Huckberry’s private label brand of Made-in-America Supima Cotton t-shirts. “Our mission was to create an ideal fit that was soft and came out of the wash perfect every time,” designer Brian Rather told Valet Mag. The name is a nod to the 45 RPM record, a single that was meant to play one song real well. A Reddit reviewer opines that Forty-Five’s t-shirts have a “really nice feel and drape and [are] 100% cotton which is a plus for me,” adding that they are “holding up nicely to wear” and that they “look great alone or layered.”
- Rhodes Footwear is an exclusive Huckberry brand that makes a range of boots (Chelsea, chukka, work, and cowboy) and casual shoes sourced from family-run factories in León, Mexico and artisans in Portugal and Italy.
- Greys is Huckberry’s line of wool footwear. They are one of the best options on the internet for stylish outdoor slippers for men, and I regularly rely on my outdoor slippers to walk the dog.
Independent Menswear Brands at Huckberry
At the same time, Huckberry is a great online department store to get to know a variety of stylish independent menswear brands like Faherty Brand, one of my go-to destinations for elevated, sustainably-minded fashion for men and women.
Shop Huckberry for a range of elevated menswear labels including Astorflex, Onsen, Howler Brothers, Mystery Ranch, Olukai, On, The James Brand, Billy Reid, Schott NYC sweaters, Taylor Stitch, Bellroy, Finisterre, Foehn, Fourlaps, Houdini, Janji, Marine Layer, Peregrine clothing and Relwen.
Huckberry for Women?
Buried under a submenu, Huckberry features a sneakily-robust selection of clothing and accessories for women. It’s a surprisingly stellar place to shop for unique gifts for your girlfriend or wife.
There’s everything from Lunya silk henleys, and Faherty Brand Legend Sweater Shirts for women to Shinola watches, candles from RRL and Salt & Stone, shoulder bags from Moore and Giles, minimalist jewelry from J. Bee and even thick-heeled boots from Adelante and Red Wing Heritage.
Huckberry for Home Goods
In addition to clothing, Huckberry curates an eclectic selection of home goods. They specialize in manly kitchen and bar items including whiskey glasses and decanters from Whiskey Peaks, cocktail shakers, pots from Our Place, Moore and Giles aprons, and pizza ovens from Gozney and Ooni.
They also have other assorted homewares like Onsen bath towels, mini-concrete fireplace set, cigar humidor and more, making Huckberry an essential destination for unique gifts for him.
The First Item You Should Try from Huckberry, According to Its Co-Founder
I asked Co-Founder Richard Greiner what the first item of clothing that a Huckberry newbie should try. His response?
We make badass pants. Check out [Flint and Tinder’s] 365’s or [Proof’s] Rover pants. They are both versatile, comfortable and fit well. Life is a lot easier when you have a handful of the same pants in different colors that you can always count on.Huckberry Co-Founder Richard Greiner
Huckberry offers a range of 365 pants from Flint and Tinder, including 5 pocket trousers, jeans, cords and joggers, in a variety of fits. Their 5 pocket pants and cords are great options for business casual outfits. My only gripe is that they don’t make dressier slash-pocket chinos.
Proof is Huckberry’s line of workleisure pants made from technical performance fabrics.
4 Essential Items from Huckberry for the New Normal
I’ve returned to Huckberry more often since the pandemic because their smart and business casual clothing offerings are a great fit for the new normal. I asked Richard what he expects the new normal to look like and how he is planning for it as a business.
Richard observed that, “the world has gone more casual and comfortable overall.”
While he thinks that dressing up will come back into style over the next couple of years, “even when you are dressing up now, it has to be comfortable.”
In response, Huckberry is leaning into versatility.
“What you wear to the office should work for a date dinner night or a casual hike,” he said.
He suggested 4 versatile articles of clothing from Huckberry’s closet that allow guys to dress for their day:
Flannel Lined Waxed Trucker Jacket
The Made-in-America Flannel Lined Waxed Trucker from Huckberry’s Flint and Tinder brand “is just dressy enough for the office or date night and great out in the elements,” says Richard.
The sturdy outdoor-ready garment was featured in HBO’s The Last of Us, further boosting its best-selling status on Huckberry’s website. Produced in New Jersey by Fairfield Textiles, the 7 ounce canvas is substantial.
Reviews for Flint and Tinder’s Waxed Trucker Jacket are overwhelmingly positive:
- Stridewise says it’s “the kind of jacket that ages well, takes a beating, and has timeless style.”
- Evan Malachosky over at Gear Patrol adds in its review that, “you get a flattering jacket with impressive functionality — and it really fits, at least me and the numerous folks that’ve reviewed it on Huckberry’s site.”
- Reviewing the Waxed Trucker Jacket for Outside, Jakob Schiller calls it “indestructible. I’ve used it to saw down trees, clean my yard, haul trash, and performall kinds of other random jobs, none of which put the jacket in any real danger of nicks or tears.”
Richard noted that the Rover pants from Huckberry’s house brand Proof “work at work as well as at a more gritty after-work scene.” The Rover pants are an updated take on classic work pants, but made from technical fabrics to stretch, wick moisture and offer all-day comfort. The work jeans are constructed from 73% cotton, 25% Sorbtek, and 2% lycra.
On Reddit, one reviewer observed that the Rover pants “are thinner than any other dungarees I own but still just as tough,” adding, “the fit is exceptional; slim yet agile.”
Richard suggests trying Huckberry brand Rhodes Footwear’s Chelsea Boots “for a bit more formal yet still functional boot.” The Goodyear-welted boots with a workwear-inspired wedge sole are rugged yet classy for a smart casual office as well as social gatherings.
Reviewing Rhodes’ Chelsea Boots for Dappered, Adam Terry writes that they “offer a sturdy, yet comfortable leather upper, a soft cow leather liner with a leather topped footbed, and a rock steady rubber outsole that’s ready for whatever the world throws at you” as well as “substantial value for your well-earned dollar.”
All Weather Duckboots
For a slightly more rugged look, Richard suggests checking out Huckberry’s All Weather Duckboots, another top seller.
Gearmoose offers a glowing review of Huckberry’s Duckboots, observing that “for as thoughtfully designed, handsomely attired, and durably made these boots are, they still come in at under 200 bucks.”
How Huckberry Creates Community
Huckberry goes above and beyond simply creating a superlative online retail experience, though it certainly does that.
“We use inspirational messaging and content in the various channels and areas our customers — and future customers — hang out,” Greiner told me.
The founders jumped into content from the beginning, first through informational and fun newsletters and more recently by generating shows that are meant to “meet our customer in the moment with inspiring messaging and content as the TLDR,” according to Greiner.
(One Reddit user “highly recommend[s] signing up for [Huckberry’s] newsletter just for inspiration.”)
WATCH: Huckberry TV
Have a look at Ramble On, a Huckberry-produced TV series where experimental chef Brad Leone embarks on adventures in lesser-traversed locations like Sheridan, WY.
“It’s been fun to see the positive reaction,” said Greiner.
Huckberry Shipping and Returns
Last I checked, Huckberry offers $4.99 flat rate shipping or free shipping on orders over $98. (A few oversized items ship direct from the manufacturer and have elevated shipping fees, which should be obvious when ordering.)
Huckberry offers returns on most items shipped to U.S. addresses for 30 days from the date of delivery. (See the entirety of Huckberry’s return policy online.)
Huckberry Returns via Happy Returns
In my experience, Huckberry makes returns incredibly easy via their relationship with Happy Returns, a PayPal company that facilitates the process. Here’s how it works:
- Initiate a return via Huckberry’s Happy Returns portal.
- Have the order reference number (e.g. R123456789) and the shipping zipcode that appears with your order handy to locate your details.
- For most items, you should have the choice to return to any Happy Returns bar, where you can drop off your items without bothering with return packaging or labels, or returning via an express delivery carrier. (Find a Happy Returns location near you.)
I had a fabulous experience returning a bulky and rather expensive item to Huckberry via Happy Returns. Just make sure you return the item within the eligible return window.
Discover more information on Huckberry Returns online.
What About Huckberry Customer Service?
In my experience, Huckberry provides stellar customer service. You can reach out to Huckberry via:
- email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- text/call at +1 (855) 325-8998; or
- send a message through the Zendesk-powered widget on their homepage.
Huckberry vows that they are on the phones from 6:00AM through 5:30PM pacific time Monday to Thursday and from 6:00AM to 4:30PM pacific on Fridays.
Huckberry hosts several sales throughout the year. Two of their biggest are:
- Huckberry 15% Off Sitewide Sale: From November 15-16, Huckberry took 15% off sitewide only sitewide sale of 2023. It’s the only time this year that their top-selling product of all time — the Flannel-lined Waxed Trucker Jacket — is marked down.
- Huckberry’s Annual Winter Sale: Items tend to go fast during Huckberry’s traditional post-holiday sale with discounts of up to 50%.
- Huckberry’s Black Friday-Cyber Monday sale: Black Friday sees some of Huckberry’s biggest deals of the year. Their massive Black Friday and Cyber Monday sale has historically featured deals of up to 40% off over a thousand items from across their offerings including Flint and Tinder, Proof, Wellen and Wills, as well as other innovative brands like Marine Layer, Holden, Seavees, Danner, Gitman Vintage, and Topo Designs.
During Huckberry’s sales, look for discounts like:
- Up to 50% off outerwear for winter from brands like Flint and Tinder, Faherty Brand, Howler Brothers, Proof and Relwen.
- Up to 50% off sweaters for men including crewnecks from Marine Layer, Seawool Fisherman’s sweaters from Wellen, cable cardigans from Wills, shawl collar sweaters from Fjallraven, and Fair Isle sweaters from Armor-Lux.
- Up to 50% off pants including joggers, jeans, corduroys and chinos from brands like Marine Layer and Proof.
- Deep discounts on footwear for men including canvas shoes from Obra, boat shoes from Astorflex, rugged boots from Rhodes Footwear, slippers from Shepherd of Sweden, and indoor and outdoor slippers from Greys.
Huckberry Promo Codes
While there are plenty of sites on the internet that claim to offer promo codes for Huckberry, Richard tells me “we hate discount codes” and the company rarely offers them. (Yet the internet is littered with invalid Huckberry promo codes like 10TOYOU, HBGT15, and Hbdfc.)
Rather than offering discount codes, Huckberry offers free shipping on your first order when you sign up for emails or texts.
Huckberry also offers Free Shipping for all orders over $98.
What Do You Think of Huckberry?
Have you had a positive or negative experience with Huckberry? Please contribute to the discussion in the comments. Thanks for reading this far!
About JakeJake is an expert on men’s style and fashion based in Washington, DC. He founded Modern Fellows in 2012 to get to know the entrepreneurs and innovative clothing and lifestyle brands helping men dress sharp in the digital age. He has published hundreds of articles on style and apparel, and regularly interviews small business CEOs and startup founders about industry trends. Jake has written about entrepreneurship, international business and fashion for outlets including Business Week, Forbes, Inc., Details Style Syndicate and Primer Magazine.
Other cool stuff:* Get $25 off your first experience with Wantable, an amazing online personal styling option for men and women.
* Take 10% off your first order from Proper Cloth, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* For comfortable Athleisure clothing for women and men, try these 25 alternatives to lululemon.
* Find 21 Alternatives to Warby Parker that also let you try on prescription eyeglasses at home.
* The Essential List: These 125 innovative menswear startup brands will transform your wardrobe
* Upgrade your business casual wardrobe with comfortable yet professional-looking workleisure clothing made from stretchy performance fabrics.
* Get $50 off your first suit at Black Lapel, one of my favorite online custom tailors.
* Discover the best places to buy colorful socks online.